Discuss gear and techniques for recording and stage performance
By Nodrog
Hi there,

I have been playing around trying to record my djembe with a little guitar and cabasa and sometimes acoustic bass. Sometimes I find myself playing cabasa with my feet whilst drumming with the hands. I find this easier than trying to drum with my feet, ha,ha,ha...

I struggle with the technical side of things but I have now a couple of short 'sketches' recorded so here they are. (That's if the attachment works ok).

All the best, Gordon. (WARNING: Not traditional djembe music). :dance:
Attachments
(1.4 MiB) Downloaded 434 times
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 410 times
By Nodrog
Hi there,

It's been a few weeks now since I made the above recordings and so I've had a chance to listen to them on several different set ups.

For example, my computer at work has two small tinny speakers which is great for talk radio but not well suited to music. At home, I have a decent sound system which the computer goes through. A completely different, fuller sound.

Bubudi gave it a listen and his comment was that the djembe sounded like a snare drum. I've never really heard that effect on anything I've played it on so far. If anything, when played back on a system with a decent bottom end, the bass hits were coming off too boomy. On one track I was hitting the bass 4/bar like a kick drum in dance music. This means I need to experiment more with the mic placement on my next attempt or to have the djembe at less of an angle to dampen the bass shooting out from the bottom of the drum.

As mentioned before, both the recording and the playing is all a nice big learning curve, these are just two early examples.

Can't wait to get back to it.

All the best, Gordon. :dance2: