Advice and questions on keeping your instruments in top form
By bops
rachelnguyen wrote:When I brought my new drum back from Mali, the skin broke within a few days of getting home. It was an older skin that was very tightly tuned, went from hot dry to the extreme cold of an airplane hold in January to my heated house in the space of a day and just gave up the ghost. No issues with the wood at all, though.
It's sometimes a good idea to take a couple of knots out of the drum before putting it away. If you've sweat a lot while playing, and the sweat has gotten on the skin, you might want to de-tune a little before putting the drum in the case. That way, the skin will be less likely to pop as the moisture dries up.

Also, it's very common for a skin to pop while sitting in a car on a hot day. Especially if it's in a dark-colored case. You have been warned!
By e2c
Also, it's very common for a skin to pop while sitting in a car on a hot day. Especially if it's in a dark-colored case. You have been warned!
Absolutely yes. The interior temp of a closed car can go up to 140 F in a matter of minutes during the summer!!!
By bubudi
according to this article, it can get to 150°f (or 66°c) in a closed car if the outside temperature is 90°f (32°c). like i said, enough to cook any bugs boring into the wood.
By cnickroot
This thread went dry, so I'm hoping to revive it by asking for reccomendations for a case again. Lets assume budget is an issue,because it is. My drum is an ivory coast style, and actual OD measurements are ... 9.25 inches at the base, 14.5 inches outside of rope to outside of rope,and 24.75 inches skin to floor.
It doesn't look like the TKL or Drumskull has one to fit it well. Am I wrong? Any other suggestions?
By michi
Note that there have been quite a few reports of quality problems with the TKL cases in the past two or three years, so you might want to be cautious there.

I'd send the measurements to Drumskull and ask them. They also can do custom sizes if none of the standard sizes makes for a good fit.

Cheers,

Michi.
By Djembe-nerd
If the djembe is 15-18 lbs, there is one from Drumseeker that will fit those dimensions, check with rhythmhousedrums, Kevin carries those ones.

If the djembe is 20 lbs or heavier, i would suggest what Michi said.

FWIW :
I am using a new bag that shorty sells for a 17 lbs djembe and its holding on, a custom DSD bag for a Wula djembe ( Yeah ! :-)) thats 25 lbs and base of 12.5" dia, a DSD economy bag for a Mali djembe that 20 lbs.

All are golding all well for everyday, not so rough use.