Advice and questions on keeping your instruments in top form
By drtom
djembefeeling wrote: I second that. it's a drastic measure. but I can understand the doctor, too. if you have the wrong kind of bugs in your house, it can be the end of your house. consider what would you rather loose?
the true djembefola would give the house, I guess ;)
Yaa Maan. :rofl:
By Djembe04
Update: Three days ago, I've opened the bags. To my relief, I found six fairly undamaged skins. I do not found any larves or beetles, but the eggs were still in there. The most I could blow out with an small air compressor, and I can tell you, there was quite a bit. After that, I sprayed some pesticide. Now, three days later, no modifications. I think this is going in the right direction :D

One important tip for anyone to prevent beetles or any kind of insects: Play your drums, play it and play it! :dundun:
By djembefeeling
I will have to deal with the same problem now. Just bought two sets of dununs from a TTM teacher here who had to stopp teaching due to health problems. The dununs are attacked by the varied carpet beetle (Anthrenus verbasci), one of the main varmints on fur these days:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varied_carpet_beetle

Since they breed end of May till October I will have to move agressively against them quickly. I think I will place them in a bag in the sun for a day, put some insecticide in the slots and scent them eucalyptus oil. that should be enough overkill...
Last edited by djembefeeling on Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Djembe04
@djembefeeling, also, I would suggest try to blow out most of the eggs with an air compressor. For me this worked surprisingly well.
By Djembe04
Update: Today I found the first small beetle, after the larves have been away for a while. It's a blurred picture, but are you still convinced that it's the carpet beetle indeed?
Again I sprayed some pesticide in the slots of the drums.
Now it's wait and see.
Attachments
20160421_112700.jpg
20160421_112700.jpg (154.45 KiB) Viewed 2069 times
By djembefeeling
You want to have a look at mine?
bugs 1.jpg
bugs 1.jpg (940.43 KiB) Viewed 2059 times
bugs 2.jpg
bugs 2.jpg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 2059 times
We could exchange some and they could mate ;) - if they survive my poisoning, I mean. Guess they are resistant, for they can hide where I cannot catch them. But so far they do not seem to harm the skin other than eating the hair...
By Marc_M
I recently bought a dunoumba from someone and the drum showed had evidence of carpet beetles. I found molted skins and fine particles where the beetles had been chewing. It was Spring so subzero temperatures were not an option as a control method.

I researched on line and found that products with Tetramethrin were most effective. I sprayed the drum outside the house in all the cracks and crevices of the drum. Afterward, I placed sticky traps at the base of the drums so I could trap and monitor activity by adults.

Knock on wood, I haven't seen any further activity. I recommend this approach to control.

Best of luck.
By djembefeeling
:D I can collect some and send them to you for only a hundred bucks for dozen :D

But seriously! I once forgot a skin in some dark corner of my basement. After a year or so I accidentally found it and except for a tiny spot on the spine the hair was meticulously eaten by some moth larvae. It was the best skin ever!
Last edited by djembefeeling on Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
By drtom
I once found a bag of skins in a similar state. I don't know how long they'd been there, but the skins themselves seemed intact.

I'll never know though, 'cause I was working for someone at the time who had me throw them out.
By michi
I've had cow skin and goat skin eaten by moths (or their larvae, rather). It doesn't seem to affect the skin. Basically, you get a free (and very clean) shave that way :)

Cheers,

Michi.