Advice and questions on keeping your instruments in top form
By Djembe04
Bugs on my drums!
What are they? How did they get there? How get rid of it?
20151020_151042.jpg
20151020_151042.jpg (184.09 KiB) Viewed 4051 times
Attachments
20151020_150656.jpg
20151020_150656.jpg (194.58 KiB) Viewed 4051 times
By michi
I have no idea what those things are. Are they actually eating the surface of the skin?

To get rid of them, I'd remove the skin and ditch it. (Maybe burn it?)

Then spray the shell, rope and rings with insecticide and give the whole thing a week or two for the poison to take effect and make sure that anything that might still hatch out of eggs dies too. Then rebuild after washing the shell and re-waxing it. If you are horrified of pesticide residue, replace the rope while you are at it…

Cheers,

Michi.
By Djembe04
Also had a tip for freezing them for a few days.
Probably it is a tropical insect.
There is some damage to the edge of the drum.
I'll start with a pesticide.
How can I make them all die, perhaps in the house?
By michi
I'd contact a pest control company. They might even be able to tell what the critters are.

Cheers,

Michi.
By Djembe04
They seem to, but without the hair.
I placed the drums in plastic bags. A few days later I found holes in this bag. Are the larves from carpet beetles also so aggressive?
By batadunbata
I fumigated a Djembe but I did it with natural essential oils. It may work for you? Are they eating the hair on the skin? Was it always so patchy? I would also do a thorough cleaning of the house, to get rid of them. Steam cleaning should kill beetles? Perhaps closing the house and turning the heater up high for a whole day and leave the house to bake?

Here's what I did:
I used a mixture of oils, soaked a paper towel with them, placed the drum over the towel (not touching) and a plastic garbage bag over the drum, and let it sit for a few days.
Also, it had fur on the drum, so I cleaned it with a vacuum cleaner hose to remove dust.

Oils which repel insects include:
clove, lemon, rosemary, pine, orange

I would not use lavender because it is often synthetic.
Also, avoid some oils like mint, sage, and typical insect repellent oils with citrinllelol/citrineol because they will smell strong.

I wouldn't assume this would work forever, but it will probably keep them away for a long time.
Around 20 drops should be enough.
By drtom
You need to find out what they are and FAST! They are in your home. Identify the critters NOW before they spread.

If for some reason you cannot address the issue immediately, I would consider burning the drum.

It may be nothing - but what if it's not?

drtom
By the kid
How can a doctor advise to burn a djembe?

Didn't you hear of the Hippocratic oath?

It would be silly to destroy the drum with out trying other methods first.

Isolating the drum in plastic bag would be first step, and place drum in freezer will kill a lot of insects.,To remove and destroy bugs an organic pesticide,(pyrethrum) can be used, pest preventative oils like neem, orange oil may also work esp neem(try that first as is least toxic) could be tried as could chemical pesticides as a last resort.
By the kid
You need to find out what they are and FAST! They are in your home.
Burn the house?
If for some reason you cannot address the issue immediately, I would consider burning the drum.
Loads of options to try first. Burning a drum is a terrible idea.
By djembefeeling
the kid wrote:Loads of options to try first. Burning a drum is a terrible idea.
I second that. it's a drastic measure. but I can understand the doctor, too. if you have the wrong kind of bugs in your house, it can be the end of your house. consider what would you rather loose?
the true djembefola would give the house, I guess ;)
Last edited by djembefeeling on Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Djembe04
Isolating the drum in plastic bag would be first step, and place drum in freezer will kill a lot of insects.,To remove and destroy bugs an organic pesticide,(pyrethrum) can be used, pest preventative oils like neem, orange oil may also work esp neem(try that first as is least toxic) could be tried as could chemical pesticides as a last resort.
Exactly what I did.
The drums are still outside with their plastic bags. Recently, It has frozen for a few nights.
One of these days I'll have a look. Then I think I'll spray some standard pesticide. I keep you up to date.
By bubudi
deep freeze for 24 hours will do the trick, no pesticides necessary. eggs will not survive it. another option if you have decent weather is to leave it in full sun at the hottest part of the day for 4-6 hours. in both instances, double seal it in black garbage bags. you can line the inside of the inner garbage bag with eucalyptus oil (spray or brush on lightly) to deter bugs from escaping. if you do this and then leave it in the sun, you create a strong vapour that will kill bugs quicker and it doesn't leave any harmful residue. temperature inside the bags gets to 60-70°C on a warm day. the bugs die at 50°C. out of all the essential oils i find eucalyptus most effective. yes, it has a strong smell but you are not putting it directly on the drum, so it will not absorb a lot of smell and you can always air it out a bit if it bothers you. personally i find eucalyptus smell pleasant. by the way carpet beetle appears to be right on the money. if you look closely at the second picture they do have the hairs.
By drtom
Djembe04 wrote:
Exactly what I did.
The drums are still outside with their plastic bags. Recently, It has frozen for a few nights.
One of these days I'll have a look. Then I think I'll spray some standard pesticide. I keep you up to date.
That's a smart approach - hopefully the critters won't go right through the plastic. According to my limited understanding, extreme temperatures kill most bugs, and you've immediately removed them from your home. Immediate action might spare the drum from the bonfire.

You might opt for a less toxic (to humans and drums) pesticide than you have in mind.

drtom