Advice and questions on keeping your instruments in top form
By chavesbeste
I have recently purchased this Drumskull Mali hare djembe. As you can see in the photos the verticals are not typical. When I put a knot in where do I start? The odd verts almost made me pass on this drum but it was insanely discounted. How do I even describe it--a four vert twist?
Attachments
mali.JPG
mali.JPG (260.86 KiB) Viewed 2234 times
By Beerfola
It appears that they just put in a knot on every other set of verts (skip one set each time). I see two logical choices. Start the next round at the first set that wasn't already twisted and work around the same way, skipping those that have already been done. When you get to the end it will be just like the mali weave but probably higher up from the stem. Or, when it's time, you undo the previous knots and start over with the more familiar weave.
By chavesbeste
You have a good eye my friend. I like your options. I'll probably go with option B--take out the knots and start from scratch. Weird one. I hope it sounds as good as it looks. I have three Wulas this is going to be my first Drumskull, bargain priced for $240.

THANKS
By chavesbeste
Just got the djembe on the mail. Dead sounding. Just finished pulling out that second row and redoing the entire Mali weave. Now it screams!