Advice and questions on keeping your instruments in top form
By sebaT
Hy everybody,

keeping in mind that djembe and dunun are african instruments, and i am a european citizen, does anyone know how they react when stored in cold places??

How can that affect the skin and the shell of the drums??

Thank ya!
Enjoy!
Seba
By michi
Cold all by itself is probably not an issue. However, cold and humidity go together, and goat skins don't like humidity. So, if you have to store the drum over winter, try and keep in a warm room.

Failing that, wrap it up as best you can in a big garbage bag or some such. I doubt that, long term, the wrap will prevent the moisture from seeping in anyway, but it might just make a bit of a difference.

Michi.
By e2c
Cold and humidity - well, to be fair, sometimes people are dealing with cold *dry* climates, and that dryness can be the enemy of healthy drums.

There are reasons for concern during long, harsh winters when the heat is cranking... During a near/sub-zero F spell back in the 1990s, the head of one of my Arabic tambourines popped. The only way I can describe the sound is that it was like a giant ripping sheets of steel - it was *that* loud, and that dramatic. (Head ripped completely from one side of the frame to the other.)