Advice and questions on keeping your instruments in top form
By michi
Inspired by the useless accessories thread, here is my attempt at the ultimate djembe accessory list :)
  • Good quality drum bag. Consider one with one or two pockets, padding, decent hardware, and stiffening in the lid, such as the deluxe case from Drumskull.
  • Djembe hat with stiffening, such as this one.
  • Drum stool. Avoid designs that require a drum key (unless you play a Remo ;) ). Also avoid designs that rely on a clamp to keep the seat post at the correct height. No matter how hard you tighten the clamp, the post will gradually move down. Instead, get a stool that has a screw to adjust the height, such as this one.
  • Small jar of shea butter for your hands.
  • If you have tendency to bruise, arnica cream.
  • Pawpaw cream. Truly brilliant for making splits heal quickly.
  • Micropore tape and/or fabric strapping tape (Leukoplast) to protect splits and/or blisters.
  • Djembe shoulder strap with closing buckle.
  • Djembe waist strap.
  • Small bent-nose pliers.
  • Rope puller.
  • Deer antler.
  • Seke Seke.
  • Rubber strap or cinch belt for attaching seke seke.
  • Rubber foot for djembe, so it doesn't slip and you don't scratch wooden floors.
  • Sand paper.
  • Super glue and small patch of goat skin for repairing holes. (Glue a small patch over the hole from underneath.)
  • Drum key for that crappy stool or your 18" Remo ;)
  • Clip-on djembe handle.
  • Portable recorder.
  • Notebook and pen for taking notes during workshops.
  • Costume for performing, including assorted wrist bands, arm bands, necklaces, and djembe hat.
  • Pair of dundun sticks plus bell striker.
  • Rubber mallet for tuning a djembe without removing the wrap.
Anything (useful) to add?

Cheers,

Michi.
Last edited by michi on Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
By zurghhh
Michi - I have almost everything on this list. One stand out item I am missing - and now feel incomplete. Deeer Antler ? I know I am new and somewhat naive, but what purpose does this serve. Hopefully, this is an inside joke which folks can get a chuckle out of at my expense.
By michi
Not an inside joke. A deer antler makes a perfect fid. It won't damage the shell, and is ideal to pry open knots, lever the verticals off the shell for weaving, and all sorts of other uses.

See the preview of my book on page 5 for a description.

Cheers,

Michi.
By Dugafola
michi wrote:Not an inside joke. A deer antler makes a perfect fid. It won't damage the shell, and is ideal to pry open knots, lever the verticals off the shell for weaving, and all sorts of other uses.

See the preview of my book on page 5 for a description.

Cheers,

Michi.
use a screwdriver like everyone else!
By michi
I've used a screwdriver in the past. It works too, but it's easy to make marks in the shell that way, especially with softer woods when levering the verticals away from the shell for weaving. A deer antler is softer and won't mark the wood.

Cheers,

Michi.
By Waraba
djoniba wrote:This stuff is amazing for example if you want to fix a microphone inside the drum, or any other small "hacks". Recommended:

https://sugru.com/

Can that stuff be used on the foot of the drum to protect it from the floor?
By djembebaby
where can i find the rubber mallet to tune my djembe....... I tried it out to day on my djembe after a class and i was amazed on how it worked. Can someone please tell me how much it cost adn where online it can be purchased. Thanks.
By Waraba
Rubber mallets abound at hardware stores... At least where I live.