Advice and questions on keeping your instruments in top form
In the past I have purposely skinned dunun with different thickness skins on either side. Specifically a very thick one, and a much thinner one on opposite ends of the same dunun. The I use the mail weave closer to the thin skinned side. This gives me two distinct tones on each dunun, six tones to mix and match at will on a set of three dunun. I found this to be nice, especially when playing with other dunun players. I have alot of choices on which side blends tonaly with the other instruments.

Perhaps this is bad, in that they are not equal and identical. But for my ears, it has worked pretty well as a method. Does anyone think this is a bad idea? (I ask now, because I just finished the wood on 7 new dunun. I figure best to get any feedback prior to repeating my old process described above.)
Thanks
tauber wrote:It's not the norm. It's not how we build drums. It's not how it's done in Guinea. But if you like it, there is nothing wrong with that!
i'm not sure i agree. your experience might be different, but from what i've seen, guineans tend to maximise the amount of drum heads they can get from one skin. if they could use one cow skin to head 3 dunun, they would do it! the thickness of the cow skin can vary significantly between the spine and the belly, so you could end up with quite a variation, and there's only so much matching up of skin thickness you can do without having to use more skins ($$$).
I have seen a lot of things in Guinea. I agree that most people there, do need to maximize their resources. But if they want to build a good dunun, they will try to use two skins that are a similar thickness, in most cases. And, again, it depends on what sound you want to hear. And how much cash you have, I agree. In the Hamana area, where the trees are grand and the dunun are also large, you would build a drum that would have an evenness of sound. One side will most likely sound better and, for that day, that is the side you would play. One reason I am writing this is not for my benefit but for those reading these posts now and in the future. The 'norm' and the preferred way in the area of Guinea known for its dunun, is evenness of the skins. Hopefully, we can inspire people to build good drums and continue the work of the generations before.
thanks for the input, alan. i've no doubt that they'd make the best effort to match the skins. i was just saying that people do what they can given their available resources at the time, and either way works (normally one side of the dunun sounds better than the other, anyway).

on a personal note, though, i don't like the sound of thin skins on dunun, so i have tended to go for thicker skins, avoiding most of the belly part.
tauber wrote:Hopefully, we can inspire people to build good drums and continue the work of the generations before.
here here!
Happy New Year to all .... good days , I need your help , I once saw here a terrific tutorial for mounting the rimless dundunes set , as I do not speak English well I find it hard to find work again using the search . Please if anyone remember where you saw it and I can put here the link would appreciate , because finally it is time to mount my dundunes rimless .......... good greetings to all and thank you very much