Advice and questions on keeping your instruments in top form
By Djembe-nerd
I have started covering the skin with cotten towel and tie it tight against the shell just below the rings when I store them or put them in the bag to take outside. I think that it will protect it from direct humidity, which is a lot where I live.

I know djembe hats are made for this but my djembe wont fit in the bag with a djembe hat. Also I saw Md. Diaby doing this, he was using a cloth.

Does any one also do the same, and should it be towel or cloth.
By Carl
I don't think it really matters which you use. I use cloth, I've seen people use t-shirts and towels.

I'm not sure how much protection it gives for humidity, but it does help with direct sunlight and the minor bumps and scratches that your drum will be exposed to.

It also helps to practice with the "hat" on, makes you work harder for tones and slaps!

Peace,
C
By Djembe-nerd
Thanks Carl

I practice sometimes with the towel on the head, when i don;t want to disturb others and also when the hands hurt and I still want to play :-)
By michi
Personally, I'm skeptical about how much difference a towel would make with humidity. The water molecules carried in the air will move just as freely as the air molecules and, within a very short time, humidity will be very much the same above the towel and below the towel, especially considering that the skin is hygroscopic (water-attracting). For every water molecule absorbed by the skin, the water vapour pressure in between the skin and the towel is reduced a little, meaning that more water molecules will go through the towel to even out the pressure difference again. (At least, that's the theory :) )

To really shield a drum from humidity changes, I think the only possible course of action would be to enclose the whole thing inside an air-tight container.

I do use a towel over the head when I practice though. I can still make clear tones and slaps, but things are not anywhere near as loud so, currently, I'm still on speaking terms with my neighbours :)

Cheers,

Michi.
By Dugafola
if you are really worried, throw some desicant in your bag as well.

i normally use a djembe hat with my bag. i have used towels and Ts in the past.

after a dance class, i'll usually unzip the top of my bag and pull the lid off until the next time i play it.
By michi
A few years ago, there used to be a guy who sold djembe hats with a silica gel desiccant pad. I emailed him maybe three or four years ago to get more info, but he never replied. Now, looking on the web, I can't find any sign of that product.

Basically, it was a djembe hat that had a mesh pocket on the skin side that held a pad filled with silica gel. The idea was that the silica gel would draw moisture out of the skin. Once it had absorbed all the moisture it could hold, it turned blue, and you took the pad out and baked it in your oven for a while to drive the moisture back out and reuse it.

I have no idea how well that works in practice, but it seems like an idea that might actually work.

Cheers,

Michi.
By michi
I do use a towel over the head when I practice though. I can still make clear tones and slaps, but things are not anywhere near as loud so, currently, I'm still on speaking terms with my neighbours :)
Another thing I find useful is to place the towel over my own head. This is particularly effective when I'm working on a new technique and cannot bear to witness what I'm doing... :-)

Cheers,

Michi.
By bubudi
michi wrote:A few years ago, there used to be a guy who sold djembe hats with a silica gel desiccant pad. I emailed him maybe three or four years ago to get more info, but he never replied. Now, looking on the web, I can't find any sign of that product.
i think you mean this.