Advice and questions on keeping your instruments in top form
By michi
Garvin wrote:Will it fit a Wula drum with the rubber bottom?
Depends on the size of the rubber bottom ;)

You can drop Drumskull an email. They'll be able to give you the exact measurements, and they also can do custom bags for your djembe. (They did this for my Jina due to its unusual proportions.)

Cheers,

Michi.
Last edited by michi on Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Djembe-nerd
They'll be able to give you the exact measurements, and they also can do custom bags for your djembe. (They did this for my Jina due to its unusual proportions.)
what did they charge for custom size bag ?
By michi
Adam wrote:what did they charge for custom size bag ?
From memory, it was $50 over the normal price.

Cheers,

Michi.
By Djembe-nerd
I got my Hardcase from UK. Its good, a little on the bog side. My djembe goes in it with the bag. But nothing can happen to it, seems good.

Have to be careful with the airline policy for musical instruments. In US, I checked 2, continental and southwest. Continental lets you take a musical intrument upto 90 linear inches, which makes this OK, but southwest cahrges 50 bucks for anything above 62 linear inches, so you will have to pay there.
By Allurelife100
Thanks to all of you because I have a TKL Bag and I have had it for 4 years and it's worn down. I need a new bag and DSD seems like the place to get it so I am sold!
By Djembe-nerd
which one are you guys getting. The $ 156 one or the $95 one?
By Garvin
Okay fellow gear nerds. Pardon my laziness, but the iphone happens to be my most conveinent camera, and frankly, I'm just trying to give you a quick snapshot of some of the things that I think make this a great bag...

This is a large WULA drum with the rubber bottom. It fits snug, as close to perfect as I would've hoped.

The backpack and shoulder strap are positioned with an extremely low profile. No extraneous straps catching on door handles etc...

Very thorough stitching. I have no doubts about the strength of these straps.
Awesome hard rubber handle
The large side pocket is about the only place that I could find cause for some improvement. The size is great. Plenty of space for sticks, a mallet, sese, bells, tape etc... But it should be padded. Not for protection of the contents, but interior padding to keep metal from poking through. I got a tiny hole after only 24 hours of use. My bad for buying Senegalese sese with sharp points, but I was kind of surprised that they poked through the pocket so quickly.

Overall, this is by far the most complete, best looking, and most heavy duty djembe bag I've ever owned. It is roomy without being bulky. I am extremely impressed by the ability to mesh aesthetics with real-world function. I cannot say I'm surprised that the guys at Drumskull pulled it off, but I am certainly happy with my purchase (particularly with the Seattle sale special).

I can absolutely recommend this bag to all of you.
By michi
I have the same bag, and I agree about the quality. It's solid. I did have to have the stitching reinforced on the carry straps and the handle. But that's because my bloody Jina djembe weighs in at 26.2 pounds, so I'm not blaming Drumskull :)

I'd say this is pretty much the best bag currently on the market. I recently bought a second one for my Guinea shell, which is just as well-made.

Cheers,

Michi.
By bubudi
i'd warn some of you to be careful with the zip on the side pocket. 2 friends had to have that redone after a while. the zips are good quality, it's more a case of the rectangular profile of the side pocket. drumskulls could have designed the top of that pocket in an arc instead of creating two right angles. that would have also created more space at the top, probably eliminating the poke-through with the senegalese segesege. you have to be careful zipping/unzipping at right angles. those are big stress points on the zip. if you're in a hurry to set up or pack up that's when you're most likely to do the damage. having said that, i've always taken care with mine (even when i'm running late) and they're still good after 5 years but i find they get a bit stuck around the corners.

my other critique of the bag is the plastic hardware. it pretty much makes the shoulder strap useless. most people only use the backpack straps and handle, though.

another thing i saw in another bag is two rubber handles. that would really come in handy with a heavier drum (such as a gele or dugura drum or one of those heavy jina djembes).

i'm also not sure why wide bottoms and hard tops aren't standard on their bags, but that might have something to do with wanting to offer a more budget model.
By Djembe-nerd
This is a very promising option I found for a custome Hard case.

http://www.roadcasesusa.com/categories/ ... stom-Case/

$99 + shipping is as good as it gets. I have mine from Hardcases UK, but may be of interest to some people here.

I will be contacting them to make one for my Hang "drum" :-)