Discuss drumming technique here
By davidognomo
hey

for those who may be still interested, seems that the djembefola on the vid above is Dr. Djo bi.

I checked his page. He lives in the States and his advanced classes include the teaching of topalon slaps. I don't know the state, though...
By Waraba
I love the part where they start swinging the djembes back and forth between their knees.
By Waraba
Well, actually, I cannot find him in NYC. I did find a website that seems to have been updated as recently as 2010 from Bloomington, Indiana, that says:

"In 1997, Dr. Djo Bi moved to New York City where he founded and directed a group called Bangofla Music Ensemble. He has performed and educated across the States, particularly around New England and the Eastern seaboard while he lived in New York for 10 years. We are now blessed in the Midwest to have such a phenomenal and renowned African musician available to us."

There are a bunch of events and classes scheduled, but the year is not given. So unless he moved back to NYC real recently...

I checked because I live near NYC and wanted to see him.
By Waraba
sklermbot wrote:Dr Djo Bi's new album really focuses on the third slap, so much so that it is named after it. Topalon is what he calls it. Check it out on iTunes or at http://dutdutrecords.com/album.php?albumID=4
OK, that album is amazing. I mean that literally. I downloaded it for 6 bucks, and what a deal. The musicality. The groove. Once you put it on, you can't turn it off. It's engrossing as a good book, and you suddenly start moving your body in dance phrases you may never have arrived at independently but that make perfect sense. It's just drumming and singing. Let's take out the word "just." It's drumming and singing JUSTICE.
By sklermbot
Thanks man! Mind if I use your quote to promote it? Please leave feedback on iTunes and link from Facebook.
By Waraba
sklermbot wrote:Thanks man! Mind if I use your quote to promote it? Please leave feedback on iTunes and link from Facebook.
Feel free.
By Waraba
James wrote:So Michi, if you've figured this out, any tips? Anyone else?

I've tried slapping with stiff fingers, that's not it.

I've tried slapping with 2 fingers and toning with 2 fingers, that's not it.

I've tried slapping from a different angle, slapping in different places, but still not joy....

I can't wait 9 years! ;)
I saw Dr. Djo Bi this afternoon in New York City. He very graciously showed me how he does it. You give the Vulcan greeting, that is, separate your ring & pinky fingers from the other two; those, the index and middle fingers, hang off the edge while you slap as usual with 4th & 5th fingers. But you have to practice. :bandaid:
By djembeweaver
James wrote:
So Michi, if you've figured this out, any tips? Anyone else?

I've tried slapping with stiff fingers, that's not it.

I've tried slapping with 2 fingers and toning with 2 fingers, that's not it.

I've tried slapping from a different angle, slapping in different places, but still not joy....

I can't wait 9 years!
I can get quite a nice distinction now (at least with my right hand and not in any complicated phrases)

I turn my hand in at about 70 degrees, slap near the rim of djembe (ish), curve / cup my fingers, play only with the middle finger and the next one (next to the little finger) and whip my fingers onto the skin.

Using this technique I can isolate the first partial quite well.

Jon
By Marc_M
It's taken five years since I first posted in this blog to get the second slap down second nature - but with practice it is possible. It takes practice same as rudiment slap and tone. I started by positioning my hands closer to the rim, but now I only move fractionally closer to the middle of the djembe. There are in fact several places I can get the sound, but I prefer the closest position to slap and tone. I use it quite regularly to add to solos to add a greater variation to the melodic voice. So keep the faith if you are reading this. ;) :clap: