Discuss drumming technique here
By bubudi
e2c, i agree about messing around and coming up with your own stuff. when i'm messing around occasionally i use some techniques adapted from req playing. learning technique from masters is a great reference point though. we needed that starting point to develop our basic djembe technique, after all. so i do both. that third slap is a real tasty treat if used sparingly and in the right combination, and not as easy to get as other slap sounds (even after having played darbouka, congas and req) so i feel it's worthwhile to develop it.
By Dugafola
e2c, i hear what you're saying. adama drame has a lot of different techniques and sounds as well. there is something about that sound though....there are a lot of true djembe Master drummers that can't even make that sound.

i need to master my own tones and slaps before i really start experimenting with other techniques.
By e2c
Dugafola wrote:e2c, i hear what you're saying. adama drame has a lot of different techniques and sounds as well. there is something about that sound though....there are a lot of true djembe Master drummers that can't even make that sound.
Adama's playing just knocks me out. He's got incredible range, and a kind of musicality that I really love. Some of what he does reminds me a lot of Middle Eastern (etc.) playing and technique.
i need to master my own tones and slaps before i really start experimenting with other techniques.
Exactly!!!! :D
By bops
Here's a good example:

You'll hear it starting at :43, again at 1:23, and then throughout the solos... This looks like it would be a great show.
Last edited by bops on Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Marc_M
bubudi wrote: dug, from about 2 min onwards you can occasionally hear third slaps. different from the lighter slaps he's doing earlier in the piece by simply playing them more softly, and much like those mamady does, only he's using different combinations of sounds.
I hear it. There's the tone, a pop and a bright pop. Sometimes listening to these can drive ya CRAZY ! ! ! :lol:

I agree with everyone else that playing around with the tone yourself is important, but I really appreciate watching some of the drumming icons mentioned, since they show me what is at least possible. This way I know what to reach for.

Peace and love.

Marc
By bubudi
adama diarra is killing the third slap in this vid

[video]youtube.com/watch?v=7kEy2HocgGs[/video]
By bubudi
mohamed diaby inserting about 50 of these 3rd slaps into his soko solo at about 1:53

By michi
The best example I have heard of different slaps is on Famoudou Konate's album "Rhythmen der Malinke".

Listen to track 17, "Sofa". Around 2:15 into the track, Famoudou starts playing melodies with three different pitched slaps.

I've managed to produce two distinct pitches on my slaps on a good day with a good skin, but not at will. Forget about three...

Cheers,

Michi.
Attachments
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (3.63 KiB) Viewed 1501 times
Last edited by michi on Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Dugafola
michi@triodia.com wrote:The best example I have heard of different slaps is on Famoudou Konate's album "Rhythmen der Malinke".

Listen to track 17, "Sofa". Around 2:15 into the track, Famoudou starts playing melodies with three different pitched slaps.

I've managed to produce two distinct pitches on my slaps on a good day with a good skin, but not at will. Forget about three...

Cheers,

Michi.

http://www.drumanddance.com.au
easily one of my favorite djembe CDs ever.
By Dennis103
Silly remark maybe but I've known djembe masters to play 2 djembe's at once. Since it is a CD, how do you rule that out?
By Beerfola
I suppose in the case of the CD it is possible, however unlikely. Having witnessed, first hand, other players achieve this musical tone/slap I'd put my money on it being one djembe. What I find remarkable is how Fode Bangoura can play that same sound at low volume also. I'm sure others can too.
Another time I was listening from a distance and thinking to myself in amazement about the innate ability of these two players being so in synch. In the middle of a solo I was hearing a higher pitched and lower pitched djembe playing the exact same passage. When I investigated I soon realized it was Fode playing two djembes at once.
By bubudi
Dennis103 wrote:Silly remark maybe but I've known djembe masters to play 2 djembe's at once. Since it is a CD, how do you rule that out?
not really something famoudou does and even if he did, you would hear more than just an occasional other slap, you would hear bass, tones and slaps in different pitches.
By michi
Dennis103 wrote:Silly remark maybe but I've known djembe masters to play 2 djembe's at once. Since it is a CD, how do you rule that out?
If you listen to Sofa on that CD, it's clear that he's doing this on a single djembe. The slaps are played on a single drum, and he varies their overtone spectrum, producing three distinct pitches. If he used two djembes, it would sound totally different.

Cheers,

Michi.
By michi
I asked Mamady today about the third slap and whether he had any suggestions for how to learn it. His reply was "I'm sorry, I cannot explain it because I don't know how I do it myself." He said that, if you play long enough, sooner or later, it will happen by accident. When that happens, try to repeat it. Eventually, you'll figure out how to reproduce it at will.

He mentioned that this is one of the secrets of the djembe. (Not "secret" in the sense that he won't tell--I have no doubt that, if he could, he would happily show people how to play that slap. It's just that how to do it is too subtle to explain, so it remains a "secret" by necessity, not by choice.)

Cheers,

Michi.
Last edited by michi on Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.