[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Palm Injury - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

Discuss drumming technique here
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • 6 posts
By slow_and_peaceful
When I hit the tone and slap with my dominant hand for a while, a blood vessel pops on the area of my palm that hits the drum. It feels like I am hitting both hands at equal strength but my weaker hand doesn't have this problem. Could it be something wrong with my technique the drum or is it most likely that I am over-hitting? I'd like to be able to play loud so if anybody can describe how to play with strength without injuring the palm I would greatly appreciate it.
By michi
Can you post a short video of you playing? That might be the best way to identify whether there is any problem with your technique.

Michi.
By Paul
You shouldn't be hitting the drum with your palm except for the bass and this certainly shouldn't cause injury. I hit the drum tone and slap with the pads of my hand (i.e. under the knuckles), some people move in for the slap especially for a very large drum. If you can't post a vid at least post a picture of your drum with your hand placed where you normally hit tone/slap.
By djembeweaver
The more you use your wrists the more you turn your hand over so your fingers arrive at the skin without banging the wood too much. So play lightly and use your wrists.

A video of you playing would help people to give better advice.

Jon
By slow_and_peaceful
I realize I meant the pads not the palms. I couldn't think of the word for that part of my hand :) I'm trying to figure out how to post the video. Do I have to make it a youtube video first?
By michi
slow_and_peaceful wrote:I realize I meant the pads not the palms. I couldn't think of the word for that part of my hand :) I'm trying to figure out how to post the video. Do I have to make it a youtube video first?
Yes. Post to YouTube. You can then embed the video here using the video talk. There is a button to do that near the top right of the edit box. When posting the URL, remove the "http://" prefix, so the URL starts with "www.youtube.com/etc...".

Michi.
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 1 of 1
  • 6 posts