[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ballet Style Dununs - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

Discuss drumming technique here
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • 5 posts
By zurghhh
Hello all - Wasn't sure where to post the question - so I picked here.

Anyhow - for ballet style dununs - are the dununs the same general size, or smaller ?

It would seem that slightly smaller versions of each would make more sense.
By Dugafola
it really doesn't matter as long as they are tuned well and project a decent amount of sound.

size is definitley a consideration if you're constantly strapping them together or transporting them while strapped together. 50 gallon drums are often used as 'ba in a ballet set.

my friend here made a short, squat dununba with a big head out of plywood. he also made a stand to get the dununs up to a good playing height so he doesn't bend over so much.

rhythm traders in portland usually has some monster white wood dununbas on the shelf. check them out.
By gr3vans
'ballet style' simply refers to Dunnuns being played in the style of the ballets. this etymology goes back to the smaller ballets and touring troupes that could not afford to pay or preferred to pay fewer musicians. to cut down on resources they directors would have one person play the full dunnun arrangements. this also incorporated other insturments being translated to dunnun for performances such as bote (mane, yoqui) and those little djembes tied five in a group (kuku).

So, to make a short answer long, there is no designation on size. some are big, you can make them small if you want. i like to not have them too tall cause I'm short, but sometimes I'll stand on a box... :oops:
By zurghhh
thanks duga - of course the first part of your answer makes sense. I miss the picture of you in deep thought at the festival.
By rachelnguyen
I play ballet style and had a set made that were smaller and of lighter wood so that they would be easier to carry around. Rather than strap them together, I use a little carabiner and a bungee cord to hook them up so that I can transport them separately. In Mali, one of my friends places the rope ring of the kenkeni over the rope edge of the dununba and slips a nail through to hold them together... But most folks lash them together more or less permanently.

In order to maximize the sound I get out of the smaller drums, I made a set of legs that elevate the dununba off the ground a couple of inches. The legs are just dowels tied on with zip ties. I got little plastic feet in the hardware store. The legs are short enough that I can just leave them on all the time.
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 1 of 1
  • 5 posts