Discuss drumming technique here
By youdneverthink
Hi

I get a pretty loud bass tone when i play tones and slaps. Is this normal? I have a 16" toca fiberglass shell djembe with lugs for tuning instead of ropes.

All insight is welcome
By Rhythm House Drums
I've got a student with one of those. We put in 1.5 rows of diamonds and it sounds much better. Be careful though, those bleached skins are prone to breaking.

You are doomed for some overtones and bass with your tones just because of the thin fiberglass shell, the larger head with thin skin, and the small sound hole... but tightening it up will give you much better results than fresh off the shelf.
By bubudi
Rhythm House Drums wrote:I've got a student with one of those. We put in 1.5 rows of diamonds and it sounds much better.
the o.p said his drum uses lugs, not ropes. he's not going to be able to pull diamonds.

you could try tightening the lugs, a bit at a time. always tune on opposite ends, going around until all lugs have been tuned equally. keep going until the overtone is reduced. you may find that some overtones still remain, due to the fiberglass shell, its smooth interior, and the metal tuning lugs. rope tuned tocas fair better, at least the ones i've heard.