[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Different hand height between tone and slap? - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

Discuss drumming technique here
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • 3 posts
By lobo
Hi everyone;

I've searched about this but I didn't found anything talking about the question:

When you play a tone you lift the hand at the same height than in the slap?

I found that in my tone my hand lifting is less than in the slap. Seeing djembefolas I admire it seems that the height of the hand on both sounds is the same, only the projection of the hand is different. Maybe I should work on that to improve my technique. I've been trying and it seems that it gets more consistency, but also takes a greater amount of energy.

What do you think about that?

Cheers!
Hi Lobo and welcome to djembefola.com!

To my mind, the hight of hands is not a measure for playing a tone or a slap. It is rather a question of "fingers closed, high tension in hand" (tone) or "fingers open, low tension in hand " (slap) in combination with the point of impact on the skin. The closer to the rim, the higher the noise.

If people are seen, raising their hands higher while playing a slap, this is a trail to gain more kinetic energy by stretching the path of motion, effecting a louder noise and thus having the impression, playing a slap, but a loud tone is not a slap! Longer path of motion means too, that it reduces playing speed, because it takes more time. Taking a look at masters you will recognize that the position of hands is always close to the drum-skin unless they are intentionally performing hand and arm motions, having a special stage effect.

Hope this could, at least partially, answer your question.

Greetings...
...Erny
Last edited by Erny on Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
i'd say it's generally the same.

Erny did make a good point. the slap vs tone difference is effected by what happens from the wrist to the fingers.

the style of playing very very close to the drum with little/no upward movement evolved from the modern/ballet system. faster and more notes.
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 1 of 1
  • 3 posts