Discuss culture and traditions
By djembeweaver
davidognomo wrote:I thought its meaning was "little by little"
Since 'small' and 'little' can be used interchangeably in many contexts (taking small steps and taking little steps is the same thing), translating as 'small small' or 'little by little' would be at the discretion of the translator.

The fact that many West Africans say 'small small' in English is quite telling though...

Jon
By bubudi
i always heard it pronounced dondoroti. it can mean 'bit by bit', 'little by little', or 'slowly', but directly translated it means "small small" (which of course is not proper english). in many african languages, the direct translation of "small small" has these meanings. to name a few other examples besides susu - malinke: doni doni, yoruba: kelekele, krio: smohlsmohl.
By gr3vans
sabe (sah*beh) - key

remembered last night randomly asking for the keys to my teacher's car.

in a sentence:
sabe mende
where are the keys

or
sabe falabeh
give me the keys (not sure about the direct translation here, could use help)

when returning the keys i asked what one would say to present the keys or say 'here are your keys' ... I have forgotten... oops. anyone have any input on this?
By gr3vans
How many folks here would be interested in taking Soussou lessons on Skype with a teacher in Conakry?
By Waraba
gr3vans wrote:How many folks here would be interested in taking Soussou lessons on Skype with a teacher in Conakry?
I would. Sign me up.
By kavajo
gr3vans wrote:How many folks here would be interested in taking Soussou lessons on Skype with a teacher in Conakry?
I would be very interested. I have been unable to find any pronunciation reference that is good. the peace corps guide covers a lot but doesn't really explain how to pronounce the letters.