Discuss culture and traditions
By bkidd
The Bambara language thread sparked my curiosity in whether a similar dictionary and language resource exists for Malinke. Does anyone know of a dictionary or other resources for learning Malinke?

Thanks,
-Brian
By bubudi
that is senegalese, so it may well be more like mandinka, which is different to the malinke spoken in guinea. i'll have a look through it at some stage, and would appreciate if anyone with some ability in malinke could do the same and comment on the dialect.

i put up some resources in another thread.

here they are again:

peace corps malinke manual
maninka greetings

if you're looking for bambara, wolof, susu or krio there are also threads dedicated to those languages in the cultural section.
By djembeweaver
Hi.

I wouldn't bother with the Senegalese one - there are massive differences even between Kankan and Faranah so I'd imagine the Malinke spoken in Senegal is very different.

I've been dipping into the peace corps one (N di un samba) for the last year and it's pretty good I think. My teacher Iya Sako seems to recognise most of the things I've learned from that text, although he normally rephrases them (probably because he's from Wassolon and they say things differently there.....or maybe because the authors got things a bit wrong....)

It would be good to find a more comprehensive learning resource though.
By Barra O
thanks for the links budabi the peace corps manual is a great footing to start from. Im going to kankan region in feburary and am without french or maninka so gona try learn what maninka I can between now and then.a downside is I dont know anyone who speaks it that i can bounce what Im learning off of. do you (or anyone) know of any audio where I could check me pronunciations etc

cheers
Barra
By bubudi
hi barra, that's a tough one. the only thing i can suggest is getting in contact with native speakers via skype before you go. get well aquainted with some basic greetings and phrases first. french would definitely give you an advantage and is easier to learn. good luck!
By HawaOuti
Hi!

You can order this book from l'Harmattan:
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... re&no=8917

It is quite good but in French. It is not really for beginners, more like a grammar book with examples. but I think it can be useful even for beginners.
(My copy is with a friend so I can't check. I have also a Susu language book from the same series and that is really good)

Outi
By Barra O
Iniké,

Oun ya maninka kan makaran n'nyala, oun digno le ka oun'makaranya. Oun ya kusan a fo doni, ani oun ya fe ka lon ni alu ya fe ka kuma/ ka sebé kelendi siyaman. mun ye alu kono?

hey up,
im studying maninka kan on and off for a coupla years, my friend has been teaching me. as i dont use it alot i notice i lose alot of what ive learnt.so wondering if any of you would like to use the forum to chat and keep it fresh, and im sure learn from eachother in the process. what do you think
By amakepeace
Does the Malinke language have honorific words that are approximately equivalent to Mr./Miss/Mrs? If so, can you supply some examples of how and when they are used?
By kakazu
amakepeace wrote:Does the Malinke language have honorific words that are approximately equivalent to Mr./Miss/Mrs? If so, can you supply some examples of how and when they are used?
hi amakepeace. Though I know only a liiiiiiiiittle Malinke, I believe

Mr. = N fa
As in; N fa Kaba, tubabu Kaba...

Mrs. = N na
As in; Alu kan n na Fanta ma, jina le...

tomado... :p
By Kembleké
Amakepeace, I see that I am a few years late on responding to your thread. I am not a native speaker of Maninka kan but have been working on learning it for a while. I don't believe that there is a direct translation of the titles Mr, Mrs, Ms.

In Conakry, Guinea you can hear people use French or Susu terms within Maninka kan sometimes. So for example they will say Madame Bangoura for a woman married to a man with the Bangoura surname. "Madamu" is a Maninka-cization of the French "Madame".

In as much as these titles have any meaning nowadays it is only to identify gender and martial status. "Man" is "ké" or "ché" in Maninka kan and "woman" is "mousso". You can hear these being attached to the end of some ones surname. For example, "Bangoura mousso" for a woman with the surname Bangoura. Maybe you have heard of the great djembé player known as "Bangouraké", which essentially means "Mr. Bangoura".