CDs, books and DVDs
As I get more in contact with the music and the playing, I notice my listening of music more focused on specific aspects of music tracks from albums. Just been listening to Rhythmen der Malinké for the 1000th time. Every time there's something new to discover.
http://open.spotify.com/album/3w8jUD4g1dEm5hhYdkgNvL

You can listen on Spotify or buy in the sates here:
http://www.djembedirect.com/item/alisco_diabate_cd

Not sure about Europe.

The recording and mix on this are really good IMHO. Aly's playing is super clear and consistent. Not always really flashy, but definitely has some sauce to it. Lots of flute and bala on this album to, which helps me access the melody that we often miss when we're 'just playing drums'.
Attachments
Alisco.jpg
Alisco.jpg (114.3 KiB) Viewed 2975 times
davidognomo wrote:Thanks for this, Greg. Who's the djembefola on this?
I should know, but I don't. I will investigate. Duga may know.
rhythm der malinke is a classic. can't go wrong there with the soli, mendiani and all the dunun rhythms.

check out mansa camio et sofoli - an bada sofoli

i was able to help work on both this one and the sene dunun disc (harvest music). it's the recording i refer to people who want to listen to some incredibly loose yet in the pocket dunun playing.
Dugafola wrote:rhythm der malinke is a classic. can't go wrong there with the soli, mendiani and all the dunun rhythms.
And really nice sangban variations on Balakulania on that album.

The CD can be quite hard to find and has been unavailable periodically over the past few years. Looks like it's currently available here: http://www.tochnit-aleph.com/catalog/pr ... ts_id=3083

Michi.
michi wrote:
Dugafola wrote:rhythm der malinke is a classic. can't go wrong there with the soli, mendiani and all the dunun rhythms.
And really nice sangban variations on Balakulania on that album.
And dundunba too, though it is not so well heard as sangban.
In that album they use o------oo-o-o-o- as dununba part instead of the usual o-----o-.
I like the kick just before 3 and the fact that its a 4 beat phrase, so you always know where you are.
guedom wrote:Hi davidognomo the djembefola is Mouctar Touré, you can listen here.

Cheers
The other soloist with the lighter touch is bangaly bangoura.
korman wrote:
And dundunba too, though it is not so well heard as sangban.
In that album they use o------oo-o-o-o- as dununba part instead of the usual o-----o-.
I like the kick just before 3 and the fact that its a 4 beat phrase, so you always know where you are.
daouda kourouma is the dununfola on RdM. he's still in guinea and a very gracious and patient teacher. just don't let the army fatigues and big ass gun scare you off. :D
Dugafola wrote:daouda kourouma is the dununfola on RdM. he's still in guinea and a very gracious and patient teacher. just don't let the army fatigues and big ass gun scare you off. :D
I met him in Conakry once. He is a nice guy and could certainly need the extra money from teaching. but this was more than ten years ago. He must be pretty old by now. Though he doesn't seem to have lost his touch on the dunun. I think MK hired him for the album Sila Laka.
Thanks to the discussion I listened today to RdM in an hour of rest. That was fun. It is and remains a great album. Even though I like the red casette still much better...
Side A:
1-3 Soli
4 Dyidanba
5 Djagba
6 Dyidanba
7 Soliba
8 Soli
9 Dyidanba
10 Djagba
11 Denadon
12 Soliba
13 Bundiani
14 Soli

Side B
1 Dyidanba
2 Takonani
3-4 Konowoulen
5 Soli
6 Soko
7 Dja
8 Kurabadon
9 Mendiani (Gida)
10 Dyidanba
11 Soliba
12 Konowoulen
First disc of "Bundiani" album contains some very energetic playing of a minimal ensemble: just sangban, dununba, and djembe. I highly recommend it, though its quite a hardcore listen compared to usual (arranged) albums.

For example, the third track is now one of my favorite quarternary pieces. The dunduns do not vary at all for the first 4 minutes, and minimally afterwards, but the tight and fast groove on dunduns plus energetic soloing sound so good that the track (with no breaks, no singing) is not boring for the whole 6:21 of its length.
korman wrote:First disc of "Bundiani" album contains some very energetic playing of a minimal ensemble: just sangban, dununba, and djembe. I highly recommend it, though its quite a hardcore listen compared to usual (arranged) albums.

For example, the third track is now one of my favorite quarternary pieces. The dunduns do not vary at all for the first 4 minutes, and minimally afterwards, but the tight and fast groove on dunduns plus energetic soloing sound so good that the track (with no breaks, no singing) is not boring for the whole 6:21 of its length.
agreed!!! i love that simple arrangement. too often students get enamored with 3 dunun players and 2-3 jembe players.