CDs, books and DVDs
By Paul
Hi there,

Have found myself in the position of having to step up my game on Ghanaian drumming quickfast. Particularly for the lead drum for dance. I spent about a year playing support in an ensemble but this whole hand and stick technique for the lead in Ewe drumming is a whole new ball game.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Paul
By JBM
It really depends on what music you are interested in learning or performing. Some resources that might be useful include:

Anku, Willie. 1997. "Principles of Rhythm Integration in African Drumming." Black Music Research Journal 17 (2): 211-238.

Anku, Willie. 2000. "Circles and Time: A Theory of Structural Organization of Rhythm in African Music." Music Theory Online 6 (1).

Anku, Willie. 2009. "Drumming among the Akan and Anlo Ewe of Ghana : An Introduction." African Music: Journal of the African Music Society African Music 8 (3): 38-64.

Locke, David. 1987. Drum Gahu! : A systematic method for an African percussion piece. Crown Point, IN: White Cliffs Media Co.

Younge, Paschal Yao. 2011. Music and dance traditions of Ghana: history, performance and teaching. Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland & Co.
By JBM
orlik wrote:You can check also John Miller Chernoffs African Rhythm and African Sensibility -it's about Ewe and Dagomba drumming, but you can find some general thoughts on african music as well

http://www.johnchernoff.com/
there are some essays availible on his website as well:
http://www.johnchernoff.com/Essays%20an ... tions.html
This is certainly a classic, although I don't personally recommend Chernoff's work as a stand alone source because of how dated it is in terms of conceptualizations about the music. It is a good narrative accompaniment to other, more rigorous analytical and pedagogical work.

Cheers,

JBM
By Paul
Thanks for that. I meant to try Lockes book when I get a chance. I bought Chernoffs book about 8 years ago. I remember it started with him sitting on a bus in Ghana making observations, I was on a bus in Burkina at the time and so I put it down and made my own observations. Must get around to it again.

Well I managed to get the master drum down for the dance class. No major hand scaring so far from the hand/stick technique, fingers crossed.