CDs, books and DVDs
By michi
Mamady's new book is out!

http://nankamabook.com

25 traditional rhythms, plus 47 of Mamady's compositions, with sound samples for 21 of the rhythms.

You'll need an iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, or a Mac to view it.

Cheers,

Michi.
By Dugafola
wow. this thing has been years in the making.

out of the 21 riddims that have audio, i'm only counting 3 as traditional. :(
By larsb
Oops I just asked about the book in a different section. I bought the ipad version. Where do I find the sound samples?
By jimdandy
I got the book and I like it. But I'm surprised he decided to make it as an e-book only available on Apple devices. And given that, I'm surprised that he didn't take advantage of iBooks ability to include sound within the book.

Jim
By michi
I believe that the book will go into other ebook stores as well, it's just that it hasn't been published there yet. This should open it up to platforms other than Apple devices. Keep checking nankamabook.com periodically.

I strongly suspect that they didn't include the audio in the book proper because many ebook stores have ridiculously low limits on the size of a book. (The download for the sound samples is over 700 MB.)

Michi.
By bkidd

out of the 21 riddims that have audio, i'm only counting 3 as traditional.
one nice thing about the book is the acknowledgement of all this effort and all the people who made it happen.

duga, does this mean you're not so keen on the new rhythms. :)
By Dugafola
bkidd wrote:

out of the 21 riddims that have audio, i'm only counting 3 as traditional.
one nice thing about the book is the acknowledgement of all this effort and all the people who made it happen.

duga, does this mean you're not so keen on the new rhythms. :)
i've learned probably 90% of them but probably won't be playing or teaching them any time soon.
By bkidd
I hear you on the new rhythms. Since MK basically stopped reviewing old rhythms, I've learned many of his new creations, but it's difficult to play them with other people because only a select few know them well, and you wouldn't play these for dance class. :)