CDs, books and DVDs
By Paul
Has anyone come across the Drissa kone book, this is the only link I could find to it.

http://www.talking-drums.ch/books/

(with the aid of google translate)
This book for intermediate and advanced djembe / inside is devoted to very particular conception of traditional rhythms and solos from Mali. The main regularities of the solo structure are explained in the introduction and can be worked out by the numerous examples quoted solo. In addition, the book of course also offers a variety of interesting rhythm arrangements, which are rather less known to us.

All rhythms are listed with one to three Djembestimmen, Doundoum, Sang Bang and Kenkeni.
By michi
I have a copy of this, briefly described here. I haven't looked at the book or listened to the CD for quite some time. I should probably go back to it…

Michi.
By djembefeeling
I do also have a copy. It is well known in Germany and Switzerland, since it is written in German. But most of the stuff is in notation and can be read by all who know how to read notation for djembe.

The book has it's flaws, because Stephan asked Drissa for arrangements with a Guinean 3 Duns setting, with Introductions if possible and the like. I guess that is due to the much larger community of Guinean style players and their demand for new rhythms. The CD has much to much reverb for my taste, it sounds like Drissa played in a big church. So, it's not the authentic Bamako thing.

Still, it is a must have. There are plenty of rhythms and solophrases in notation that is easy to read, and there is one of not that many CDs with Drissa Kone as a soloist, so one of few sources for this great fola...
By Paul
Ok, thanks for your responses. I'm taking classes with him right now in Dakar and he was talking about the book and I said I never heard of it. So well its not well advertised and is in German, so that explains that.

Is the 3 dunun thing a Guinea thing or a Bamako thing aswell. From what he says about marriages you will have such a range of different groups at a marriage that you need to have a large repetoire to please everyone and so its easy to see how another drum could just slip into the mix. He is pretty clear about which is modern and which is traditional, but will teach either if you like.

Thanks

Paul
By djembefeeling
Paul wrote:Is the 3 dunun thing a Guinea thing or a Bamako thing aswell. From what he says about marriages you will have such a range of different groups at a marriage that you need to have a large repetoire to please everyone and so its easy to see how another drum could just slip into the mix.
O.k., to be more specific: Kensedeni, Sangban, and Doundoun is a Hamanah thing, not usually played in Bamako. When you see and listen to recordings of marriages from Bamako, the duns are usually Konkonis and Khassonka Dunun.

Have lots of fun with Drissa! :envy: