CDs, books and DVDs
By saultrain
Sorry if this has been addressed already, but where can I find some good recordings of traditional rhythms with only the dunun parts for the purpose of practicing?

Thanks!
By saultrain
Thanks, Michi. I guess I figured there would be more of something like that available. It's one thing to practice accompaniment parts by yourself, but playing with the dununs in class I notice I can get confused as to how/where the parts fit together--even if I know mentally how it's supposed to fit, it's a challenge sometimes jumping in at a quick tempo. Those polyrhythms can be tricky to the ears of a neophyte westerner.
Listening to the song with a full ensemble doesn't always help me either because I can't always distinguish the parts when they're all playing together.

Alright then,

Thanks for the the info.
By djembeweaver
Or download Percussion Studio from henrykellner.com/percussionstudio and write your own tracks to whatever specification you want. It costs about £20 to activate it permanently (bargain) and it's very easy to use with a bit of practice.

It sounds a bit more mechanical than the real thing but I think it's a fantastic resource and you can create bespoke tracks with whatever combination of parts you like at whatever speed you want.

Jon
By djembeweaver
No problem Stephen. It only took me 15 minutes in total including rendering the track, converting from wav to mp3 and attaching the file. That's why I strongly recommend downloading percussion studio and having a play with it. It's awesome as far as it goes and costs peanuts. It's really easy to use and some contributors, such as djembefeeling (hope you don't mind me saying Jurgen), are very adept at scoring in percussion studio so it's the perfect opportunity to learn how to use it.

Jon
By saultrain
djembeweaver wrote:No problem Stephen. It only took me 15 minutes in total including rendering the track, converting from wav to mp3 and attaching the file. That's why I strongly recommend downloading percussion studio and having a play with it. It's awesome as far as it goes and costs peanuts. It's really easy to use and some contributors, such as djembefeeling (hope you don't mind me saying Jurgen), are very adept at scoring in percussion studio so it's the perfect opportunity to learn how to use it.

Jon
I appreciate the info. I downloaded the free demo last night. When I get some time this weekend, I'll check it out.
By alifaa
I have found that the bells are far more important than the dunun when it comes to seeing how they fit together, which is why I created "The Dark Art of the Dunun", which teaches an analytical approach to bell patterns and dunun rhythms.

I have been teaching this approach informally to select people from my djembe class for the last 12 months, and been getting excellent results in raising the overall standard of dunun playing here in Canberra.

These workshops have been the seed that inspired the book, and the next step is to offer online video lessons teaching dunun skills based on the principles used in the e-book.

Sign up at http://www.tanamasi.com as a free member to get a sample page of the book, the first online video and some practice tracks. Try them out and then decide whether you wish to just work through the book, or to do a lesson membership which includes the book!

Hope it helps.

Wayne

ps, and yes, I strongly recommend Percussion Studio to practice against, although it will never replace peoples :dundun: