[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ibrahima Sarr: Dansa & Ngri Audio Recordings August 2010 - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

CDs, books and DVDs
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • 15 posts
Hi All...

These are recordings of a workshop from Ibrahima Sarr Which i joined last august.

Link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?553wrf65onb4qaf ( Slow Download but worth the wait..)

Also Look this Ngri: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1zyYYesKEE

The workshops take place every year on Schiermonnikoog which is a little island at the North of the Netherlands. Check out>>: http://www.djembe-drame.nl/ for details! section is called foto's en filmpjes for movie links

My Teacher of Djembe: Mousse Drame does a 3 day weekend with workshops every year for Dance and Djembe and this time it was the tenth aniversery and they got us a good set of Masters to Teach Good Stuff

I name a few...

Mousse Drame ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kDhtKWm ... re=related )
Ibrahima Sarr
Babara Bangoura

Youssef Coumbasa (dance )

Before years we had:

Sidiki Camara
Kissima Drame
+++
Oops, I spoke too soon. I probably should have watched the video before I commented (thanks for uploading!). Ibrahima's handing is the same as Abdoul Doumbia's, which I recognize as right handed. There is one difference though, Abdoul starts the root solo phrase with two basses (L, R - "and, one") rather than with one bass on the beat as demonstrated by Ibrahima. I do remember watching Ibrahima play in Bamako and noticed that his handing was mirror image of how I had learned some phrases ... I think it was Maraka, but I honestly can't remember. BTW, the recordings of Dansa and Ngri are fantastic!
Onetreedrums wrote:Oops, I spoke too soon. I probably should have watched the video before I commented (thanks for uploading!). Ibrahima's handing is the same as Abdoul Doumbia's, which I recognize as right handed. There is one difference though, Abdoul starts the root solo phrase with two basses (L, R - "and, one") rather than with one bass on the beat as demonstrated by Ibrahima. I do remember watching Ibrahima play in Bamako and noticed that his handing was mirror image of how I had learned some phrases ... I think it was Maraka, but I honestly can't remember. BTW, the recordings of Dansa and Ngri are fantastic!
cool. i've seen both the single and the "and one" basses. but i've seen 'folas double up on the right hand after the right hand bass>slap. that's the way i started to play a lot of the phrases for ngri but realize that it takes a lot more effort to double at a good tempo.
Why is the Konkoni and the Sangban for Dansa than the one I know (which is the same as Dansa on mali tradition)?

And also I always thought of the Konkoni as taking on the role of Sangban, so I'm confused by the Dansa track called konkoni and Sangban but I haven't studied too much Malian djembe.
I am sorry answering for Bas, I was at the same workshop: The tracks must have the names: '(rhythm)' with Konkoni and Jelidunun. As you can see in the videosection where Sarr demonstrates n'gri.
I am going to try to answer your first question later.
Yes Listen to michel. he studied these phrases at the Source. I just sit and watch and play what i see and hear... theoreticly i know not much. I even didnt know that was a konkoni untill michel told me that it was not a kenkenni which i thought it was....

:afro:
I listened to various versions of dansa, and as far as I could hear the konkoni is the same all the time. But I must admit that most of my versions of dansa are from around the national ballet of Mali/Ibrahima Sarr. So it could be they all play the same (ballet) version....
The jelidunun varies with the (solophrase for the) dance.
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 1 of 1
  • 15 posts