[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Tim Irrgang and Djembe Secrets - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

CDs, books and DVDs
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • 7 posts
By michi
I looked at his promotional material on the web, but haven't seen the actual DVDs. From what I can see on the web, you would be better off getting some of Mamady's or Bangourake's teaching material. At least they teach with real djembes instead of an LP Galaxy...

Cheers,

Michi.
By Garvin
Looks/feels pretty gimmicky to me. But it does say right on his page that he's played with "loads of bands"... Seriously though. Not a single mention that I found of who his teachers were, or really anything about Africa at all. Feels like I'm buying a crate of washcloths from a site like that. Way too much product, not enough soul. And seriously, what is with those drums?

EDIT:

I am guilty of reacting quickly to these things and have put my foot in my mouth before on this forum, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I've just seen a lot of drum "secret" stuff online and it all looks like this.
By michi
Garvin wrote:I've just seen a lot of drum "secret" stuff online and it all looks like this.
My sentiment too. I do have a few problems with the way this presents itself.
Even You Can Master the Djembe In Just 3 Days
Hmmm... That distinctly reminds of classified ads at the back of cheap magazine with captions such as "Lose 20 pounds in ten days", and it has about the same credibility. It's also not very consistent--Tim's opening words in the first video are:
It took me years of study and practice to be able to play the djembe.
At least that bit is honest...

His technique, while not terrible, is nothing to write home about. Just watch the opening few seconds of the second and third video to see why. I know of more than one teacher who'd drag him over the coals for that technique.

I suspect that this course is one of the many "so-so" efforts at teaching djembe to beginners. It may not be outright bad, but I very much doubt that it's all that good either. If you want something for beginners that's high quality, check out Michael Taylor's "Remembering How To Drum". That's a great DVD if you want to learn the basics.

Cheers,

Michi.
By Hilde
Thank you, Michi. I am a beginner so I know very little about the best way to learn. I have a good sense of rythm though and now I really want to learn the right technics and more about african beats.

I think I will try M. Taylor's course. I am a teacher by profession so I really want to have a drumteacher with good pedagogic skills. Tim Irrgang seemed like a good teacher even though I didn't believe that I could be a profesional in only 3 days :shock:

Thank's again to both of you. I would still like to hear from people with experiences on Tim's course.
By Michel
Hilde,

I saw that you live in Norway. I don't know how far you live from Oslo, but a great djembéteacher lives there: Sidiki Camara. I can highly recommend him. He has a website in Norwegian.
Good luck, and enjoy!

Michiel
By Hilde
I live quite far from Oslo. There are no djembeteachers where I live, so I have to learn by DVDs and in the african group I have joined. I will have a look at Sidiki's website. I Go to Oslo now and then.. Thanks for the info.
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 1 of 1
  • 7 posts