CDs, books and DVDs

How do you rate Fadouba Oulare & Family's instructional DVD? (login to rate)

♥ sucks
No votes
0%
♥♥ watchable
No votes
0%
♥♥♥ pretty good
10%
♥♥♥♥ really dig it
50%
♥♥♥♥♥ off the hook
40%
any further comments on this?

the production is from abaraka, the same as brought you fadouba's cd, the documentary m'bemba fakoli and bolokada conde's instructional, m'bara.

the focus is more on sayon than fadouba, but that probably had to do with fadouba's age. he was already showing signs of slowing down by then. sayon is great, anyhow.
bubudi wrote:any further comments on this?

the focus is more on sayon than fadouba, but that probably had to do with fadouba's age. he was already showing signs of slowing down by then. sayon is great, anyhow.
i think you mean mohammed.
I uploaded this little clip after contacting the guys at Abaraka. The DVD is really amazing. There is something really raw about it and the bonus staff are awesome. As far as the rhythms concern the solos are a little bit limited but at the end of each rhythm there is an ensemble performance with lots of phrases to work with!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
I agree, one of the best instructionals out there. Takes a bit of determination to learn that way because it's not as nicely pre-digested as Mamady's or Bangourake's DVDs. But the performance sections are awesome.

And watch the sangban player. He's wicked!

Cheers,

Michi.
I got the DVD during this Christmas! What a present! Stunning performance and excellent sound.
Also from me, highly recommended, off the hook. Focus on this DVD itself would fill more than my whole 2015 programme easily. Lots of stress expected :D

I started with Sofa (I thought this being the 'easiest to digest') and drilled down on the solos including the ones from ensemble. The explicit solo section for Sofa is relatively straightforward to write down, but the ensemble solos require hard work, in particular as the ensemble plays different more difficult ones. The first ensemble solo part is still fine but the others require really minute, piece by piece anaysis. Also Fadouba's sparse sounds are difficult to place for me in a transcription.

Did anybody of you go such an analysis? Any 'magic' trick how you get there?

Best,
flamba
flamba wrote:Did anybody of you go such an analysis? Any 'magic' trick how you get there?
Hi Frank. Yes, I did lots and lots of that kind. I might have transcribed nearly a hundred tracks like this by now.

The magic is, as always, hard work and patience until you get better and better with it. If you developed a sense for the beat while the solo developes, it certainly helps. I worked with percussion studio a lot, and in the beginning I quite often was surprised where I did have to put the notes. But you will develop a sense for the place. Of course, it is also important to gain knowledge about the structure of a rhythm, the typical bell patterns and soloing for a family. Still, sometimes it is really hard to tell the place and the sound exactly.

There is one magic trick that was the most important for me in the beginning: to slow the tracks down and loop digestable sections. I extract the tracks as an wav. audio file and do the slowing down and the loops with audacity. If you work with the video, use the vlc. media player to slow it down and loop the video.

Hopefully, this helps. Wish you had a merry christmas and will have a happy new year.

jürgen
Thanks a lot for your recommendations,Juergen.

I have used Percussion Studio for quite some time already. Percussion Studio indeed helps to get a more structural understanding of the rhythms (in the European way). Setting notes on what you play yourself is getting easy after some time, but this does not work so well (yet) when you just listen rather than play yourself orchestrated by duns.

I'll use your advice using audacity and vlc in sync and share my experience later.
This is a great DVD. For my playing level it definitely offers some challenges....Konkoba is particularly challenging for me. The solos in my opinion are (for me) pretty engaging and some of them are not that easy to get the hang of. This DVD is definitely not as clearly taught in a more Western style like Mamady or some others do, which is part of the fun. I love it. A bit raw but really well done and clear. The music is so rich, it will definitely trance you out if you let yourself get out of your mind for a bit. Enjoy!