[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
African-themed movies - Page 2 - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

CDs, books and DVDs
By michi
Wow, this is turning in to a serious list :) Thanks for the additions!
bubudi wrote:you could add some of the tarzan movies to that, or madagascar, or the lion king.

Man, right--how could I possibly have forgotten about those? I guess it's something like 35 years or more since I saw my last Tarzan movie...
re: dambe: the mali project, isn't that a documentary and therefore belongs in a separate list?
Right you are!

Thanks for all the other additions, and for posting all the video links. I'll have some more downloading to do over the next day or so... :)

Cheers,

Michi.
By bubudi
no problem. here's yaaba (grandmother) by idrissa ouedraogo from burkina faso, in 8 parts.

a 10 year old boy makes friends with an old woman who has been accused of witchcraft by her village. the boy is the only one who respects her and calls her grandmother. when the boy's cousin falls ill, the old woman is accused of taking her soul. the old woman gives the medicine that saves the girl's life, but she is still treated as a witch. when she dies finally the real reason she was outcast is revealed.

By bubudi
other films by idrissa ouedraogo:

yam daabo (the choice)

tilai (the law)
a young man returns to his village after a long absence to find that his father has married his fiancee as his second wife, making her his mother by traditional law. the young couple, however, are still in love...

samba traore
a thief's fear of being caught for a serious crime ruins the life he made for himself with his ill-gotten gains.

le cri du coeur (the heart's cry)
a malian boy moves with his family to paris where he becomes homesick and begins to have powerful visions. when he relates his visions he is laughed at and sent to the child psychologist, but eventually he meets a man who is able to make him understand his visions.

watch the short

kini & adams
two poor farmers in a rural south african community struggle to fix up an old car to enable them to move to the city to find a better life. filmed in zimbabwe.

la colere des dieux (anger of the gods)
after ruling for 20 years, the king is on his deathbed. desperate to avoid a bloody succession battle he summons his two sons, tanga and halyare. halyare arrives alone, but tanga brings his warriors, seizing power despite his father’s dying plea that the council of the wise elects the new king. from a nearby village he seizes awa, who is betrothed to another man. nine months later, she gives him an heir. awa and halyare nurture and educate the boy and learn of his secret. when salam is twelve, the secret comes out and fate begins to turn against tanga.

kato kato
By bubudi
your welcome. that one is a classic, and has to be shared. i'll see about others in due course. but you can all download the multi-part youtube versions for now.
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 2 of 2
  • 23 posts
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable