[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
New Mamady DVD! - Page 2 - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

CDs, books and DVDs

How do you rate Solos, Breaks, Techniques No. 1 by Mamady Keita? (login to rate)

♥ sucks
No votes
0%
♥♥ watchable
No votes
0%
♥♥♥ pretty good
50%
♥♥♥♥ really dig it
50%
♥♥♥♥♥ off the hook
No votes
0%
By Carl
Just finished transcribing the djembe break for Matoto from the DVD.

Sweet stuff. I tend to be biased against 4/4 rhythms, but this one has lot's to chew on!

some "interesting" handing on the video, I'm not sure if any of them are handing the break the same way all the way through. :-)

Also, that conga like technique doesn't quite come out on the video, if it's where I think it is. @Michi, If you know the technique that I'm talking about, could you check it? it starts with rolls to the bass.
Code: Select all
  1 . . . 2 . . . 3 . . . 4
ssb . ssb . ssb . sss s s s
Are these the conga "bases"?

Saddly I can't test these techniques when I'm on my lunch break... have to wait till I get home!

C
By Dugafola
i still need to pick up a copy.

thanks for reminding me...may have to hit DSD on my way home.
By michi
Carl wrote:Also, that conga like technique doesn't quite come out on the video, if it's where I think it is.
Yes, I was thinking the same when I first saw it. I think Mamady may well have changed that between the recording of the DVD and the San Diego workshop.
@Michi, If you know the technique that I'm talking about, could you check it? it starts with rolls to the bass.
Code: Select all
  1 . . . 2 . . . 3 . . . 4
ssb . ssb . ssb . sss s s s
Are these the conga "bases"?
Yes, spot on!

Cheers,

Michi.
By Carl
Dugafola wrote:i still need to pick up a copy.

thanks for reminding me...may have to hit DSD on my way home.
Yes, do so!

I can't wait to get into the solo for soliwulen that is on there (I think that's the one) Basically, the first time I saw it, I had to pick my jaw off the floor... I loved that tune before but I think I have a few more layers to dig down into it!

[just re-watched the solo before posting.... for the first section I was saying... "yeah, that's cool, but what was it that floored me?" It was actually a little "wara wara" with all the rolls...

Then the last two techniques before the chauf came up and I remembered! Sick!]

Now all I need is some time behind the drum to actually play these things!

C
By michi
Then the last two techniques before the chauf came up and I remembered! Sick!
Yes, that's a beautiful solo. I wouldn't play it with as many repetitions in a performance situation, but it's a teaching solo, after all.

It's also a sterling example of how simple phrases can be hugely effective when placed well. The music isn't always in the wara wara...

Cheers,

Michi.
By bubudi
mk vol 4.jpg
mamady keita - solos, breaks, techniques no. 1
guinee: les rythmes du mandeng vol. 4

mk vol 4.jpg (20.02KiB)Viewed 1801 times
rhythms: abondan, dibon, djagbe, fe, matoto, soliwulen, takoworo, wassolonka, zaouli 1-4
bonus tracks: 18 min pyramid, 14 min dununba in matam and 2 other tracks (total 56min bonus footage!).

the dvd is fast paced. you get 10 rhythms (2 zaouli rhythms), breaks and solos. set solos played against the dunun, then in the full ensemble. you also get improvisations played in the ensemble. as usual the background of each rhythm is explained. mamady speaks in french. subtitles are available in english, spanish and german.

available from drumskull drums ($39.95) and african rhythm traders ($39.99)
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 2 of 2
  • 22 posts
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable