Site announcements, suggestions, Q&A
By James
A discussion in the social forum about the SOPA bill recently, sparked a side issue of what kind of conversations are relevent to this site.

I have discussed this with a few people, including the moderators, and we have decided that we are first and foremost a community, and therefore it's normal to discuss things beyond the djembe world.

People can choose to enter those "off topic" threads if they want, but my main feeling on this is that I know you people and want to know what you think about my opinions on matters and such...

Whether it's a thread just for jokes or someone wants advice of how to be a better friend to someone going through a hard time it all roles here...
By michi
Personally, I think it's perfectly fine to discuss everything and anything. When I replied previously, I just didn't read the R&G closely enough. So, this wasn't being overzealous on my part, just a misreading. My apologies for that!

As a moderator, I'm bound to follow the R&G, (with liberal doses of interpretation on my part). As a member, I'm perfectly happy to discuss things such as SOPA (on which I happen to have quite a stash of personal opinion ;) )

Cheers,

Michi.
By the kid
In the Sopa example its good to discuss here as sopa could affect how the site operates etc etc

At the same time there will be global topics which can lead to arguement or disaggrement. Someone might think war is good and someone else might think war is bad. Discussing such things will encourage people with an axe to grind on the subject rather than people who are into African music and drumming. When i look at the Social section in this site i see pretty much 100 percent djembe related matherial and i think this is great and really the way it should stay.
By michi
the kid wrote:In the Sopa example its good to discuss here as sopa could affect how the site operates etc etc
Yes, SOPA is relevant to this site, no doubt. (Although, I suspect that djembefola.com would rank very low on RIAA's hit list ;) )
At the same time there will be global topics which can lead to arguement or disaggrement. Someone might think war is good and someone else might think war is bad. Discussing such things will encourage people with an axe to grind on the subject rather than people who are into African music and drumming. When i look at the Social section in this site i see pretty much 100 percent djembe related matherial and i think this is great and really the way it should stay.
Well, I don't think it's up to the moderators to dictate what people should be allowed to talk about. Personally, I'm fine with discussion absolutely anything.

From djembefola.com's perspective, I think it's good to be liberal, but it also is potentially damaging if the board (in theory) would end up getting too broad. Success depends on staying focussed. If I look for a board on West African drumming, find djembefola.com, and then see that people talk a lot about abortion rights, how to hot up their car, and cooking recipes, I'm likely to turn away again.

But that's really rather hypothetical. After all, we have this Social forum for things that don't fit elsewhere, and people are free not to read it; the other forum categories are much more specific.

In terms of moderation, all I would do is make sure that posts end up being under the correct forum category, so the forums stay on topic. Other than that, I don't think there is much of an issue here (other than keeping discussions civil).

Cheers,

Michi.
By the kid
michi wrote:I don't think it's up to the moderators to dictate what people should be allowed to talk about.
I aggree and wouldn't think any moderator wants to do that.

My comment was more relative to James's comment on the Sopa tread
James wrote:I have always been surprised that this forum doesn't have more non drumming fun and serious discussion on world issues.
Why not? I don't think it's because of the rules. But hey I don't mind what we discuss either. It'd be nice to get peoples opinions from around the world on local and global issues. But i do like the fact that this website is 99 percent djembe. I love that fact. Fuck you the 1 percent

:mrgreen:
michi wrote:
the kid wrote:
michi wrote:I love that fact. Fuck you the 1 percent
James, get that obscenity filter turned back on, quick!
A perfect example of what happens when you stray into that 1 percent!
By the kid
I now love the rules and guidelines or R&G as the mods call it.

Rules and guidelines 6 b

You may notice some members using profanity from time to time. This is allowed as long as it is not directed at others or used excessively. Be aware that on an internet forum others may perceive you entirely by what you write on the forum.

I shouldn't have been so bold. Now lets have a nice chat about the new world order.

:mrgreen: