Site announcements, suggestions, Q&A
By Matty Matt
I've been visiting the forum regularly over the last year or so and was taken in by the informative, straight to the point yet down to earth nature that Djembefola.com represented.
It seems quite ironic after the recent "masters speech" video pleeding to respect the Djembe and fellow drummers alike that i would be greeted with the message "WANT SMOKIN HOT DJEMBE LICKS?" everytime i vist the forum.

I mean it just sounds exactly like "want smokin hot blues guitar licks?" or "want smokin hot double kick drum licks?"

i'm sorry if i'm out of line here, but it just doesn't seem right to have those words associated with such a dedicated traditional instrument.

respect and respect alike.

peace.
By the kid
Nice intro Matt

I don't think anybody tryin to disrespect the djembe or anything else.

Funnily, i just searched for "want smokin hot blues guitar licks?" and got over a million hits

I guess another advertising message could be used considering the content of the Tasumakan is traditional solo phrases etc.

How about 'Want smokin hot traditional djembe licks'

:mrgreen:
By James
Hi Matty Matt,
It seems quite ironic after the recent "masters speech" video pleeding to respect the Djembe and fellow drummers alike that i would be greeted with the message "WANT SMOKIN HOT DJEMBE LICKS?" everytime i vist the forum.
I feel like you're a bit rash in your rationality here, but you are entitled to your opinion. Thank you for registering, signing in, introducing yourself and letting us know how you feel.

I don't like advertising either, so I can relate in some way. We do try to keep it discreet, and you don't have to travel far on the internet to find sites, that put advertising revenue before user experience.

Indeed when djembefola.com told us they don't like google ads, we removed them. The Kid himself said, he wouldn't mind if the ads were more relevent (instead of the remo ads Google was serving us).

If the ad got your attention some would argue it has served it's purpose, even if not in the way this ad intended (I wrote that phrase), that is the purpose of advertising. In this case it has touched you on some emotional level though, which shows your love and respect for the culture of the djembe.

Perhaps I have good news (perhaps you're already aware of this....), you see we have a real reason from such "phrasing". ;)

Tasumakan means "The sound of fire".

So yes "smoking" and "hot" have a slightly deeper meaning than the usual shock and awe advertising we often have inflicted upon us.

Current costs of running djembefola.com currently stand at $840 per year, excluding the huge number of hours put in my moderators and yours truely volunteer.

Wouldn't it be great to provide such a valuable resource for free for ever, but even though everyone expects everything for free on the internet, this is sadly not the reality of running a website.

We give a % of all money to an African based charity and as of now any and all profits taken on the djembefola.com front will go into paying people to produce more content for djembefola.com.

So you (and others) will eventually benefit from putting up with the ads. So I thank you for your patience. :)

Everyone can make up their own minds anyway.
By bkidd
James wrote:
Current costs of running djembefola.com currently stand at $840 per year, excluding the huge number of hours put in my moderators and yours truely volunteer.
At the risk of sparking negative responses, have you tried soliciting donations for the site? I'm guessing there are a couple hundred folks who regularly use the site and derive benefits from it. I donate to my local public radio station because of how great it is. This site has some of the best information on the net, the community is great, and the site is totally free! A small amount, maybe $5 per year, would get you up to $840. I certainly have paid far more for music that I end up not listening to.

Just a thought.
-Brian
By Matty Matt
I would just like to make the point clear i don't have any problem with you guys advertising on your website at all.

It is the wording/style of ad you have used in association with the Djembe and traditional West African music.

Thanks for taking my post onboard and keep up the excellent work.
By davidognomo
Matty Matt wrote:
I would just like to make the point clear i don't have any problem with you guys advertising on your website at all.
I think that's clear.

I think that this opinion of Matt's should be taken under concern. As the kid said, this advertising slogan is somehow not in the same "groove" as Tasumakan's content. I've seen the Tansole lesson, and Paddy takes it in a very serious and sober way. And the content is great, it's clear and well explained.

I remember that when the tasumakan thread started, before the Tansole lesson was available, our fellow user "archetypo" reacted in a rather harsh way and it seems to me that the reaction had to do with this slogan. But maybe I'm wrong.

I only have to respect the advertising strategy, for the reasons that James refered. It's a choice, and it's up to the responsible persons of the project to evaluate it's impact.

Nevertheless, the Tansole lesson, I repeat, is great, clear, well explained, there are no fireworks, no rethorical atittude trying to compensate any lack of knowledge, because it isn't necessary. Paddy knows what he's talking about. I'm waiting for the next lessons.

I hope sails are going well.

The donation strategy that Brian mentioned is a good idea, I think. This forum has given me much more than what I can give.
By bops
Hi Matt, thanks for the feedback. We're working on some new banner ads and we will definitely take your comments into consideration. As James said, we're not trying to cast the jembe as an instrument in any particular light, just going for an effective banner ad.

David - thanks for the encouragement! A Madan lesson is coming very soon. James and I have been working hard to address some concerns that users had with the Tansole lesson and the purchase/download process, so I think the next one will be even better. More on that later...

Paddy
By archetypo
Davidgnomo is correct, it was the slogan I found off-putting, not the content (or for that matter the intent).

I understand the need to generate revenue to keep things going, but that particular phrasing doesn't do anything to distinguish Tasumakan from the probably hundreds of crappy 'learn to play djembe' videos out there. Although I suppose if your intent is to market to the masses, it might attract their attention.
By Waraba
Sometimes, it's not what you say, and it's not how you say it; it's who says it. Djembefola.com carries more weight with me than iTunes does; if djembefola.com says "smokin' hot," I believe it.

I would recommend NOT putting the words "sober" and "serious" in the next ad, though. Unless you maybe phrase it as, "Want some seriously sober djembe licks?"
By Bluejay
Hey all. I came here intending to ask folks' opinion of the new video lessons being offered. After reading these posts, I think I have my answer. I've ordered the Madan lesson, and am awaiting my email so I can download it.

My small group is preparing for our first local gig and we still don't have a name. Any advice?
By James
Hi Bluejay, thanks for your support, I reckon you'll be happy with your purchase :)

With regard to names, you usually have 2 choices, something traditional or something generic and drummy sounding. Depends on your group's personality and what you're going to aim to do.

It's a good starting point though :) good luck
By Waraba
I read of a band once called "Free Beer." They said they got a LOT of people to the gig because that was what was posted on the marquee. Half the people left angry, but the other half stayed.