Advice and questions on making and fixing instruments
By NTTD
Hello all,
I'm excited I found this forum, I've got a djembe that's in need of some TLC.

It's got some cracks and a hole in the trumpet. It's lasted for many years and seems no worse than when I got it. However there is an issue with the bass output. I got this from some friends that had three djembes. This one they got rid of because it's voice was lacking and "needed to be fixed".
I've been wanting to fix it since I got it but had no idea how or what products to use and i did not want to ruin the drum.

I've found this site is giving me the info I need.

Form my reading here it looks like the bass issue could be due to the issues with the trumpet.

Also from my reading it looks the product I should use is epoxy for this job:
  • Any particular type?
  • Should I mix in some sawdust (from sanding) with the epoxy?
Here's the hole:

Outside, about 1/4"

Inside about 1/2" x 3"

And the cracks:

main one, about 8" long

other cracks

From what I read on here, the drum is worth saving. I've hung on to it for this long hoping the same.
By drtom
Hey NTTD,

That leak in the trumped should be sealed for sure, and you're on the right track.

There's all types of glues these days with specifically formulated properties. Epoxy will work. Find one that sets quickly but allows you enough time to do what you must. Another property to look for is the viscosity - some glues are thicker than others.

Mixing sawdust is a common practice and will work with the hole. I would not mix in sawdust for the cracks, because it might prevent the glue from completely filling the space. Also for the cracks, I would make sure the viscosity is not so high that it does not pour easily and completely into the space.

Have fun restoring your djembe.
By NTTD
drtom wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:11 pm
Hey NTTD,

That leak in the trumped should be sealed for sure, and you're on the right track.

There's all types of glues these days with specifically formulated properties. Epoxy will work. Find one that sets quickly but allows you enough time to do what you must. Another property to look for is the viscosity - some glues are thicker than others.

Mixing sawdust is a common practice and will work with the hole. I would not mix in sawdust for the cracks, because it might prevent the glue from completely filling the space. Also for the cracks, I would make sure the viscosity is not so high that it does not pour easily and completely into the space.

Have fun restoring your djembe.
Thanks Doc!

I'm thinking of getting two different viscosities; a thick one to fill the large hole, and a thin one to get deep in those cracks.

For the cracks I'm ordering some syringes and blunt tip needles from Amazon to get the glue as far down in there as possible.

I'll document my repairs and post them when I'm done.

And thanks to everyone here for your contributions to this site. I was almost at the point where I was going to throw/give away this drum. I've searched in the past for ways to fix these and always came up empty. This last time I came across this site and found the info I needed to give me the sense that this is something I can do myself.