Advice and questions on making and fixing instruments
By the kid
So I might as well get in on the action as well.

In the photo that i hopefully loaded up, what are the possible uses of the wrench?

I'll announce the answer and the winners on tuesday at 420

Look forward to it.
Attachments
IMG_2598.JPG
IMG_2598.JPG (1.32 MiB) Viewed 977 times
By drtom
You started mentioning prizes at least one quiz ago Kid. What school did you attend that gave out prizes for quizzes? Either you pass or you fail - that's how quizzes work.

By popular demand, if the correct solution is not submitted before the end of one week, I will reveal the solution myself.

Put on your thinking caps. Meaningful hints HAVE BEEN GIVEN, the biggest of which is the picture. There is no trick question or gimmick. We are talking about a meaningful, useful technique in the djembe building process in which a wrench can be used, and the picture is an actual representation of it.

Prizes? Who ever heard of prizes for a quiz?

OK, here's what I'll do - the first person with the correct solution receives a copy of two of the CDs from the list below.

Tassoumakan by Issa Bagayogo
In the Heart of the Moon by Ali Farka Toure & Toumani Diabete
Anthology of World Music: Africa - The Ba-Benzele Pygmies
Jalilology by Dembo Konte and Kausu Kuyateh
The Rhythm Of Which A Chief Walks Gracefully by Obo Addy
Rhythms of LIfe, Songs of Wisdom - Akan Music From Ghana, West Africa
Segu Blue by Bassekou Kouyate and Ngoni ba

tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc . . . . .
By the kid
I used to get a gold or silver star for doing good in a quiz, or maybe no homework for the weekend. Other wise it's a test.

But fair play to you to offer a prize, am I right thinking, your thinking nobody is gonna get the 'right' answer considering the right answer hasn't been suggested yet. But anyways it is a sound prize. Guys take all the guesses you like, no limitations there.

Are you gonna give a try to my use of the wrench. I can see 1 actualish use maybe 2.
By michi
You can use the spanner as wedge to lift off a pair of verticals from the side of the bowl, to make it easier to feed the rope through when weaving.

Michi.
By the kid
That is an option i hadn't thought of., but it's actually hard to get the spanner in there like that. I use a square tent peg to raise the verts is mecessary and used to use a tabla mallet until i broke it.
By djembefeeling
O.k., I am in. It is usually said that you have three guesses, so I take mine all at once:

1. you use the wrench as a distraction, to cover up the rather ugly cutting edge of the skin.

2. you use the wrench for a confusing question in a quiz.

3. you are not using the wrench for the djembe at all, but instead using the djembe to keep the wrench in place.
By the kid
I'm surprised and entertained by your sense of humor.

You'd be pissing yourself if you got this djembe on ebay for 80 euro. Straight of with the skin sanding oiling prettifying. Making it look presentable for todays image conscious connoisseurs. Skin is on there for 10 years and I like it. It is thick and still pretty tough. Could cut it but I like this look. Got bit scuffed as it was used hard. Looks like the dog ate it and it probably did.

Has some authentic concrete filling a hole. Trendy eh!

A real piece designed over 30 years ago. Very tasty carve, no extra wood on this, pretty light and sounds good whenever mixed with modern larger drums and often complimented soundwise.

Does the job. Has value to me beyond the aesthetic.

I love a bit of dirt anyways.

As they say, "You can take the Ass out of the bog but never the bog out of the Ass"
By drtom
the kid wrote:
But fair play to you to offer a prize, am I right thinking, your thinking nobody is gonna get the 'right' answer considering the right answer hasn't been suggested yet.
drtom wrote:
But you're definitely on the right track.
the kid wrote:
Are you gonna give a try to my use of the wrench.
I know a tuning wrench when I see one Kid.
michi wrote:
You can use the spanner as wedge to lift off a pair of verticals from the side of the bowl, to make it easier to feed the rope through when weaving.
I've done that myself when my pliers or screwdriver aren't within easy reach.
By the kid
Nah, impossible to move those verts with a no 9 spanner. And maybe no spanner could twist these ropes.

The one thing i notice about yours is it is not fully tuned. Rings very high. So it is after thewet pullbut before dry pull or tuning.

Thats why it is perplexing. It just doesn't maky sense to me, because if you were tuning you'd have some slack rope and some pliers.

Like there has to be some next step or a prior step but that is hard to fathom, obviously.
By djembefeeling
the kid wrote:You'd be pissing yourself
who distributes must also be able to plug in! no need to get personal.
By the kid
That is a endearing term in my mind, lol, for someone over excited like a puppy seeing it's owner.

I just don't like people calling my baby ugly. It is old, as is the skin, and the way the skin is cut didn't look unsightly when it was new. Can't remember why i cut the angle into the skin, maybe was trying to reinvent the wheel, who knows. The chew effect might come into fashion I think like ripped jeans.

But your right I can give it and should take it in return. Maybe the consensus is it's ugly,, or esp that close up, but still i'm into function over form and am enjoying the old sound of this drum, and think there is some authenticity in that sound. I don't think wrecked looking is bad for a djembe skin. People seem to prefer manicured everything these days. A bit of rough is part of nature too imo. I could reskin it for aesthetic appeal but this skin is still serving up.

Maybe I'll have a few more djembes skinned soon and do a sound test and see if people can pick out the old skin or the wood type for fun.
By djembefeeling
the kid wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 1:07 pm
someone over excited like a puppy seeing it's owner.
again personal. Please have in mind that English is not my first language, I don't always get every meaning. I didn't want to insult you by calling the cutting edge "rather ugly". I just thought, the way you reacted to the doctors quiz, you were making fun of him with your quiz and I felt somehow compelled to answer in that spirit to yours. Perhaps I got it all wrong. But please refrain from putting people down personally. It's an important difference to exchange arguments in a matter and making it personal.
By the kid
It's an important difference to exchange arguments in a matter and making it personal.
You are right and I am wrong. I'm insensitive and rough with my language. I am a dog lover and don't find it insulting to be compared to one. I was seriously saying you would be super excited to get this drum skin included if it was a second hand bargain. You perceived me to be joking posting the pic but I was serious or trying to find a use for the spanner. I really did think your response was funny except calling my dilapidated skin ugly. But you are probably right and I over reacted. I knew you weren't trying to be mean.

I generally mix slang with my speech and wouldn't speak to my mother like that. But i would speak to my friends like that but they would know I was slagging them and give me some in return. I should not use ambiguous or insulting language speaking to someone who I don't know will understand my meaning or lack of.

I apologize to you for that djembe feeling. I am my own apologist now and normally unfortunately and hope you understand my ignorance and don't take offence by it.
Last edited by the kid on Wed May 16, 2018 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By the kid
Ans so to explain my idea with the wrench/spanner, hope it's not an anticlimax for all the pensive punters out there

I just took a spanner, ok a small one and thought what can I use this for in djembe building or as a djembe accessory.

I was trying to figure out what DrToms idea was and seeing if I could come up with other ideas as a trouble shooting exercise.

I could only come up with one valid idea and that is displayed in my picture.

The answer to my use of the spanner in the photo is to put the ends of sege sege s into or to hold the shakers we see on the side of djembefolas drums against the drum.

The reason the skin in my picture looks like a dog ate it is I used to stuff the sege seges past the skin and under the crown loops to keep them in place. Over time tha chewed up the skin as generally it was thick and over lapped the loops. People use a band too and this can look nice but can unravel sometimes.

I was baffled by Dr Toms use of the spanner and still don't consider that a normal use of a spanner but we will see what he actually uses them for.

I reckon my use will be better though. It might not catch on. I can't find any sege seges in my cave presently but will up load a working photo soon.
By drtom
All right, the moment of truth has arrived and I see that no more solutions have been proposed. No Ba-Benzele Pygmy music for any of you.

Sir Kid actually knocked at the door (or maybe barked up the right tree, since he's fond of dogs), and I told him so more than once.

Occasionally, I get done with the wet pull but the skin is not quite as tight as I want (I like to go REALLY tight on the wet pull). I've gotten pretty good at gauging how tight to go with the first pull so that by the time I make the last pull, the tension is where I want it, but occasionally I'm a little off.

When this happens, I simply add a few more pulls. With the djmebe in the picture I pulled about 1/4 of the way around to get the desired tension. At this point, I could have simply used my vise grips to hold the last pull in place, but this would leave some slack beyond that.

What to do?

How about twisting the slack around my handy dandy wrench until there is sufficient tension in either direction to hold everything in place? A quick and easy solution that won't harm the rope, since relatively little force is required.

This also works when the rings are a little cockeyed and I want to level them, though I would not use the wrench to do the leveling as someone suggested.

Now, about Mr. Kid riding my coattails - GET OFF ALREADY!
drtom wrote: I know a tuning wrench when I see one Kid.

the kid wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 3:03 pm
Nah, impossible to move those verts with a no 9 spanner. And maybe no spanner could twist these ropes.

My idea works Kid, and I think I like it better than your solution.

Imagine several of these spanners strategically located around the shell. Now imagine what might happen if these spanners are pulled down along the rope to where the rope is pulled tighter to the shell.