Advice and questions on making and fixing instruments
By drtom
I'm usually working on several drums at once and recently began Tweeting what I'm up to. Today I Tweeted the picture below of three of the drums currently in the queue:

These are full restorations - rings, rope, skins and whatever the shells needed.

In what way is a wrench used during the djembe building process?
By michi
I guess you can use a wrench as a pulling bar. Twist the rope around the handle and use it as a lever to apply tension.

The jaws of the open-ended side could be used as a wedge to widen the loops on the crown and bottom ring when lacing up.

Michi.
By the kid
This is easy. A wrench has no use in djembe building. In your case you look like your using it to balance the top rings, in which case there are other ways to do, but still seeing the wrench in there doesn't suggest a use to my feeble mind. Aesthetic perhaps. Do you wear a comb in your hair too.
By drtom
michi wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:38 am
I guess you can use a wrench as a pulling bar. Twist the rope around the handle and use it as a lever to apply tension
That's a great guess Michi. That technique is used profusely in drum building - taiko skins are mounted that way, cracked conga shells are repaired similarly, etc.

I think something longer and more forgiving to the rope would have to be used in such a way.
michi wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:38 am
The jaws of the open-ended side could be used as a wedge to widen the loops on the crown and bottom ring when lacing up.
A very plausible guess. When that need arises, I usually grab whatever is within reach that wouldn't cut into anything, and a wrench might just be it.

You're an engineer by nature Michi, and a clever one at that.
By drtom
the kid wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 9:14 am
This is easy. A wrench has no use in djembe building.
As Michi proves, the uses for a wrench in djembe building are limited only by the imagination.
the kid wrote:
In your case you look like your using it to balance the top rings
Aha! You see. You've thought of at least one possibility, though I don't quite understand it.

Please explain how the wrench would balance the rings.
the kid wrote:
Aesthetic perhaps.
Aha! You've thought of a second possibility. It just looks good.

Some people like carving, some people like metal work, some people like rope wrap, some people like wrenches.
the kid wrote:
Do you wear a comb in your hair too.
I'm lucky to have hair in my hair Kid. No need to get personal.
By michi
drtom wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:07 pm
I think something longer and more forgiving to the rope would have to be used in such a way.
I watched people build drums in Mali with nothing but a sturdy stick as a lever. They twist the rope around the stick once near one end, close to the bottom ring, wedge the stick where the foot meets the bowl, and use the long part sticking up at the top as a lever to apply tension. Works fine and is amazingly low tech. So, a (longish) wrench could do that job, I think. (No, I've never pulled any drum with a wrench :) )
A very plausible guess. When that need arises, I usually grab whatever is within reach that wouldn't cut into anything, and a wrench might just be it.
I use a fib made from a deer antler. Works beautifully. Probably the most important and versatile tool in my drum building collection…
You're an engineer by nature Michi, and a clever one at that.
Thank you :)

Now, will you eventually clue us in as to what the wrench really is for? ;)

Michi.
By drtom
michi wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 2:47 pm
I watched people build drums in Mali with nothing but a sturdy stick as a lever. They twist the rope around the stick once near one end, close to the bottom ring, wedge the stick where the foot meets the bowl, and use the long part sticking up at the top as a lever to apply tension. Works fine and is amazingly low tech.
I use that technique myself when there's too much tension to get the cleat of my pull bar under the rope. In that case, I flip the pull bar upside down and squeeze the bar under and pull as you suggest. After a couple of those there's too much slack to continue pulling that way, but still not enough to insert the cleat, so I twist the rope around the bar to lessen the slack.

I actually thought you were talking about using the twisting itself as the pulling force. Twisting and twisting pulls and pulls. This technique really is used extensively, not only during the building and repair process, but also as a tuning mechanism.

michi wrote:
So, a (longish) wrench could do that job, I think. (No, I've never pulled any drum with a wrench :) )
The wrench is in the forefront and looks much bigger than it actually is. Otherwise you're right
michi wrote:
Now, will you eventually clue us in as to what the wrench really is for? ;)
Of course.

Still hoping others are willing to share their ideas, and maybe the kid will clarify his ring balancing theory. Methinks he's talking about using it as a spacer when the rings are overiszed.
By the kid
The question should have been, how does Dr.Tom use a wrench in drum building rather than In what way is a wrench used during the djembe building process? All the newbs will be hitting the hardware shop as we speak.
Please explain how the wrench would balance the rings.
Oh yea, We have to prove our theories on the hypothetical question now do we? Some quiz! And again no prize for the winner, but hey you are a generous poster so I'll try my best.

Ok so, i'm presuming that photo you took is of the tool at work, and maybe i'm wrong but that is not relevant at the moment.

So your after doing your wet pull and you notice the ring is slightly high on one side and you wish to lower that ring to keep your patient's mommy happy.

Instead of getting your pulling bar and vice grips back out you seek out your wrench

You get the wrench and put it under one vert and then twist the wrench 360 to tighten the vert and hopefully move the rings down, plus another 90 so it is then inline with the original vert and lock the teeth of the wrench in the crown loops so it won't rotate and pop back out.
using the twisting itself as the pulling force.
Just read this and that's what i was describing above.

Pretty implausible but sure at least I tried to explain my guess.
I'm lucky to have hair in my hair Kid. No need to get personal.
It's all down hill once you start getting defensive about your hair line.
Some people like carving, some people like metal work, some people like rope wrap, some people like wrenches.
lol
By michi
My guess is that the wrench is for tuning one of those Remo abominations… ;) It's on the drum for storage only, because there is no place where you can tuck it in on a Remo :D

Michi.
By the kid
Good thinking, a lugwrench for a remo. I think that would still be regarded as an aesthetic design feature, so I might be partially right. Feels good.
By drtom
the kid wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 11:19 pm
The question should have been, how does Dr.Tom use a wrench in drum building rather than In what way is a wrench used during the djembe building process?
I considered my wording and chose carefully.

When I Tweeted the image above it occurred to me that it might make for a useful and FUN Pop Quz. I know that few would think of using their wrench on a djembe. I've used wrenches, screwdrivers and pliers.

My hope was that the wording would encourage ideas. There is more than one correct answer. I've used wrenches in more than one way during the djembe building process, and I suspect others have as well, though it may never have occurred to yourself.

The picture illustrates the latest case in which I use a wrench.
All the newbs will be hitting the hardware shop as we speak.

That's the idea, for the newbs to learn. And who knows? The stubborn olds might pick up something along the way.

And hey, you can never have enough wrenches. Might want to stick them on your djembe . . . or your hair (assuming one has hair).
Oh yea, We have to prove our theories on the hypothetical question now do we?

Not hypothetical at all. That's not a photoshoped image.
Pretty implausible but sure at least I tried to explain my guess.

It's not that implausible and shows your understanding of the process.

This might work for people who don't go that tight on the wet pull. In my case, so much force would have to be applied that the rope might be damaged. Plus more leverage would be needed.

But you're definitely on the right track.
By drtom
michi wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 9:02 am
My guess is that the wrench is for tuning one of those Remo abominations… ;) It's on the drum for storage only, because there is no place where you can tuck it in on a Remo :D

Michi.
OK, this is one of those answers that's not necessarily wrong but also not at the top of the list of correct answers.

Makes me think of sticking my fork in my ear until I get to the salad.

(Are the emoticons on the fritz?)
By the kid
I considered my wording and chose carefully.
You an unique individual and will probably cause a drum building revolution with the new tool choice.

To be fair to all the people out these who are trying to come up with one of the many right answers we should give this quiz more time. Have you set a date for the announcement of results and winners?
By drtom
the kid wrote:Have you set a date for the announcement of results and winners?

Good point. In the past, these have been so informal (as opposed to the rigorous process we're now engaged in) that no time frame was set.

What would be fair?
By the kid
I say give me the answer now but if you want to torture me a week will suffice.

Any where in between. is grand. We could have a vote but we might be too inundated with replies. You could give some clues to entice some lurkers out of the shadows.

Maybe a prize would get them into the light. Everyone is like, I'm too afraid to post, maybe I'll give a guess if i'm gonna win a dr tom signed photo or something special like that.

Spice this quiz up man. lol