Advice and questions on making and fixing instruments
By michi
Could be horse. I had a horse skin once that looked similar. But, really, I don't think it's possible what the animal was it came from with any accuracy just from a photo. Even in the flesh, I'm not sure that many people could.

Michi.
By drtom
boromir76 wrote:For shure does not looks like goat skin. Cow skin?
The process of elimination is a brilliant strategy. I agree that it does not look like goat skin - on goat skin the follicles tend to be quite obvious to me. I'm attaching an original image that will hopefully allow you to get a keener look.

What makes you say cow?
Attachments
DSCI5580f.JPG
DSCI5580f.JPG (1.49 MiB) Viewed 2621 times
By the kid
Is it marble?

I can't seriously guess. Can you give me some options and then I'll try choose one.
By the kid
Ok hold your horses, is is deer? lol

EDIT : Whats the prize again?
By drtom
michi wrote:But, really, I don't think it's possible what the animal was it came from with any accuracy just from a photo. Even in the flesh, I'm not sure that many people could.
I sometimes have difficulty just determining right side up with processed calf skin - before and after soaking. It IS a challenge even in the flesh, but I'm getting better with experience.
michi wrote:Could be horse. I had a horse skin once that looked similar.
I do not have experience with horse (eliminated). What do you know of it's properties - thickness, density, elasticity, strength, durability . . .
Last edited by drtom on Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By the kid
What convinced you?
Am i right?

I though it looked like cow/calf to be honest but guessing after a few attempts is easier isn't it. Nice looking skin any ways. Most of the deer i've seen have been greyish.
By michi
drtom wrote:I do not have experience with horse (eliminated). What do you know of it's properties - thickness, density, elasticity, strength, durability . . .
I haven't done enough horse skins (three or four, from memory) to comment all that meaningfully.

It sounds similar to goat, and you could mistake it for a thick goat skin. (Think of goat with a tiny touch of calf.) It's quite thick, so you have to take the skin round from the sides of the skin; the spine is too thick for a djembe. Seems to last about as long as goat.

If you like thick goat on a drum, try horse if you can get your hands on it. It's worth a try.

Michi.
By boromir76
Only had cow and goat skins on djembe so far, so I can not associate it with any other kind...Guessing anything else would be wild guess. The texture and yellow/ brownish light color in some parts resembles on cow, but there are also some very white, "washed out" parts which don't seem so characteristic for cow... I don't know... maybe antelope.
By drtom
the kid wrote:I though it looked like cow/calf to be honest but guessing after a few attempts is easier isn't it.

Yes it does. We narrow the field as we eliminate the possibilities and hints are offered.
the kid wrote:Most of the deer I've seen have been greyish.
I have not seen greyish deer skin that I'm aware of. The deer I've seen has been very similar to this skin in coloration and texture. I recently bought several deer skins and they all look very much like this. I know there is variance; I just don't know how much.

My first guess might have been deer, except that my tendency is to want something thicker on a djembe.
By drtom
michi wrote:If you like thick goat on a drum, try horse if you can get your hands on it. It's worth a try.
Thanks for that. I'll try it the first chance I get.

Hands down, my favorite drum skin is fish - Nile River Sturgeon to be precise. I've used it on riqs and doumbeks and have always wanted to mount them on djembes. Very strong skin with incredible elasticity. This means that it has a lot of stretch AND a strong resistance to being stretched. The result is an extremely tight drum head.

The problem is that they're way too small for a djembe.

There exist other much larger sturgeon (and other fish for that matter) that may be just as good, or even better, but the skins just get tossed. I hope to one day explore this avenue . . .
By drtom
boromir76 wrote:Only had cow and goat skins on djembe so far, so I can not associate it with any other kind.
So cow is a reasonable guess for you.

Cow is quite thick. If you look at the trimmed edge of the skin on this drum you'll get an idea of it's thickness. Let me tell you that, to me, the thickness on these pictures seems just a bit less than it actually is.
boromir76 wrote:I don't know... maybe antelope.
Not an authority on antelope, but I sense this is a good guess.