Advice and questions on making and fixing instruments
By cobra
Hello Djembefolas,

I have a some questions about clam cleats, and I'm pretty sure this is the place to ask them.

I'm thinking of making a pull stand and wonder if there is a particular type or size that works best. I have a pull bar, the type that can be purchased from a number of vendors, and the cleats used on these would not easily attach to a cable. Or would they?

Two more questions. The pull bar I've mentioned works great for 4mm to 5mm rope but not so great for rope beyond that range. Can someone suggest some good sources for different sizes? From your experience what sizes work best?

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
By michi
This post about cleats. Either cleat will handle anything that you can reasonably expect to see on a djembe. (And I'd be surprised if someone had anything thicker than 5.5 mm on a djembe anyway.)

Cheers,

Michi.
By cobra
Thanks Michi, that was useful.

I realize now that my language was not precise. When I said "beyond that range", I meant beyond that range in either direction. I have not yet had to pull rope larger than 5mm but have pulled rope quite a bit smaller. Right now, for example, I'm working with a coreless weave of indeterminate size. At least to me. You know the kind I'm talking about? Good, strong material and flat. It slips through my cleat.

I also wonder how you go about attaching these cleats to the pull stand.

Thanks again.
By michi
Ah, I get it. You can go down to 4 mm in a pinch with these cleats. And thinner, and the rope will slip. The flat weave rope you are using almost certainly won't work. I'd recommend to use proper static kernmantle rope anyway; you'll have much better results with that.

Attaching the cleat to the stand is easy. There is an eyelet on the cleat that you can tie some rope to.

Cheers,

Michi.
By bighammer
I was thinking the title was a typo. I'm planning on using cam cleats like these:

I had a couple of them in a box of leftover hardware from my old sailboat. Seems like they would be perfect.
By michi
Might be difficult to keep that cleat from twisting out of alignment with the vertical. Let us know how it goes, please!

Michi.
By korman
bighammer wrote: I had a couple of them in a box of leftover hardware from my old sailboat. Seems like they would be perfect.
These would be easier to work with
By bighammer
Mounted one to the end of a stick and connected it to a rope and foot lever. Worked great.
By korman
Congratulations, you made a sustainable djembe!:)
Please post a picture, or, better yet, a video!
By bighammer
See if this works....
Attachments
DSC_0194 downsize.jpg
DSC_0194 downsize.jpg (340.91 KiB) Viewed 2255 times
By drtom
bighammer wrote:Mounted one to the end of a stick and connected it to a rope and foot lever. Worked great.
Hey, BH. It's been a while since you posted, and I'm wondering how this cam cleat held up. I was under the impression these were made of some sort of plastic, but I don't actually know.

By the way, are the last two posts out of place or am I missing something?