[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
first attempt at reheading! - Page 2 - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

Advice and questions on making and fixing instruments
By gar05189
that´s great michi, looks really clean and the advantages are pretty obvious, thanks for taking the time and sharing your knowledge
By gar05189
I'll be re-heading another drum tomorrow. I'll try and take some pictures to illustrate how to secure the end of the verticals under loops in the bottom ring.
looking foward to it
By michi
Here is how to do the closing knot for the crown ring and bottom ring without getting uneven spacing of the verticals. Because I can only attach three images per post, I'm posting this as three separate posts.

I used two different colors of cordage for illustration. Obviously, for the real thing, it'll be the same single strand of rope that goes all the way around the ring.

Here is how you start out, before doing the final knot:
IMG_1873.JPG
Crown ring with knots except for the final one
IMG_1873.JPG (180.08KiB)Viewed 3020 times
The next step is to do a half hitch with each of the working ends:
IMG_1874.JPG
Half hitch with each working end
IMG_1874.JPG (159.71KiB)Viewed 3020 times
Next, feed each working end through the loop made by the other side:
IMG_1875.JPG
Working ends fed through loop made by the other side
IMG_1875.JPG (195.98KiB)Viewed 3020 times
By michi
Here is the same situation once more, but with the ring turned over and viewed from the inside, so you see the knot from inside underneath. (The next few shots are all from inside underneath because it's easier that way to see what is going on.)
IMG_1876.JPG
Working ends fed through loop made by the other side, bottom view
IMG_1876.JPG (143.55KiB)Viewed 3018 times
Now, take the left working end and feed it underneath the double loop you made in the previous step, so the working end emerges on the outside of the ring pointing towards the playing surface:
IMG_1877.JPG
Left working end fed through outside double loop towards playing surface
IMG_1877.JPG (199.5KiB)Viewed 3018 times
Finally, take the right working end and feed it through the loop left by the left working end in the preceeding step. Note how the right working end is trapped by the left working end once you pull the knot tight; the right working end emerges on the inside of the ring towards the playing surface.
IMG_1878.JPG
Right working end fed through the inside loop made by left working end
IMG_1878.JPG (179.96KiB)Viewed 3018 times
The knot is complete now, we just need to tighten it.
Last edited by michi on Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
By michi
Work all the slack out of the knot, so the cradle loops are as tight as possible and pull it tight. I usually use a pair of pliers to pull up the working ends, so that knot really is tight.
IMG_1879.JPG
Knot after tightening, inside bottom view
IMG_1879.JPG (195.29KiB)Viewed 3018 times
Here is the exact same knot, but seen again in the original orientation, from outside and above:
IMG_1880.JPG
Knot after tightening, outside top view
IMG_1880.JPG (220KiB)Viewed 3018 times
Before you trim off the working ends, give your creation a test:
  • Take a 1m length of 4-5mm rope and feed it through the loops either side of the knot as if you were lacing a vertical through those loops.
  • Tie the ends of the temporary rope securely together, so you have a loop.
  • Put the ring upside down on the floor.
  • Use a strong piece of dowel, broom handle, large wrench or similar and put it through the loop.
  • Stand with your feet on the ring either side of the knot (as close to the knot as possible) and pull up on the wrench with all your might. This applies the same tension to the knot as you will eventually apply when you tighten the verticals.
  • Pray that the knot will hold.
  • Open bottle of champagne when you learn that it does hold...
Finally, trim off the working ends as close as possible to the knot and melt them to stop any fraying.

I've done about six djembes and a set of dunduns with this knot so far, and not one has ever given way, so I'm quite confident that the bugs are out of it :)

Cheers,

Michi.

PS: I haven't gotten around to reskinning that djembe yet, so the pictures for how to tie off the vertical on the bottom ring will have to wait a few more days...
By gar05189
thanks michi!
I just tried it with a small bongo rim i had lying around and it works like a charm, thanks for making such a clear tutorial, definitely earned some major karma points.
By michi
OK, here is how to lock off the start of the verticals without a closing loop and double-strand of vertical in one spot. Because I can only attach three images per post, I'm posting this in three parts.

Here is shot of a drum that is laced up left to right. The end that goes off the left side of the frame is the length of rope that eventually does the weave; the end that hangs off the bottom is the bit you would normally tie a closing loop into:
IMG_1905.JPG
Drum with verticals laced left to right
IMG_1905.JPG (264.83KiB)Viewed 2980 times
We want to tie off that end on the bottom ring. Here is a close-up of the bottom ring with the end that we are about to trap there. (My apologies for the out-of focus image; I didn't realize this at the time.)
IMG_1906.JPG
Close-up of bottom ring
IMG_1906.JPG (173.27KiB)Viewed 2980 times
To start, take the working end and feed it through a loop made by the pair of verticals to the right. Make sure that you go over the loop on the left and under the loop on the right, not the other way around.
IMG_1907.JPG
End passed through first loop
IMG_1907.JPG (231.67KiB)Viewed 2980 times
Last edited by michi on Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
By michi
Now take the working end and pass it through the next loop on the right, again going over and under:
IMG_1908.JPG
End passed through second loop
IMG_1908.JPG (260.72KiB)Viewed 2978 times
Next, tie a stop knot into the end. That knot is temporary only: after the dry pull, you can open that knot and trim off the end. The knot simply stops the end from pulling through the loops while you are fiddling with the drum.
IMG_1910.JPG
Temporary stop knot to prevent end from pulling through loops
IMG_1910.JPG (395.35KiB)Viewed 2978 times
Now we need to finish off lacing the verticals. Here is the situation with the last loop at the bottom missing:
IMG_1911.JPG
Before lacing the final loop
IMG_1911.JPG (385.19KiB)Viewed 2978 times
By michi
Feed the working end through the last loop as shown. Leave some slack, because we'll pull down on that in next step:
IMG_1912.JPG
Final loop on bottom ring
IMG_1912.JPG (480.28KiB)Viewed 2978 times
Engage a cleat on the left side of the loop, below the bottom ring, and pull. (This is still the wet pull, of course.) Clamp off the loop below the bottom ring:
IMG_1913.JPG
After tightening the last vertical
IMG_1913.JPG (423.26KiB)Viewed 2978 times
Flip the pair of verticals that go through the same loop as the working end with your usual Mali weave flip.
IMG_1914.JPG
First pair of verticals locked off
IMG_1914.JPG (476.98KiB)Viewed 2978 times
I used the non-traditional way here that flips the left vertical under the right vertical, so the working end is trapped below the (previously left) vertical. With the traditional weave, you flip the left vertical over the right one instead. (Personally, I don't like this because the verticals have a tendency to flip back once you let go of the working end.)

For your dry pull, leave the temporary stop knot until things are as tight as you want them. Then undo the temporary knot, trim off the end and melt it, and you end up with an almost invisible way to secure the end of the verticals, without any double-length vertical or closing loop.

The temporary knot actually is optional--I've done this without the temporary knot as well. You just need to be careful to not pull too hard initially, to avoid pulling the end through the loops on the bottom ring.

Cheers,

Michi.
By gar05189
Hi michi
i read your last 3 posts about 4 times because the first time i was totally puzzled but now i see the logic behind it and im really looking forward to trying this method, I was checking this post every day to see if you replied because i´m all set for another attempt at reheading a new shell. Thanks againg for taking the time to do such an elaborate post. Im the random facebook guy from Guatemala by the way, never thought i would learn how to rehead a djembe from a teacher that lives 1/2 the way around the world.

muchas gracias por tu ayuda

Felipe
By michi
gar05189 wrote:i´m all set for another attempt at reheading a new shell. Thanks againg for taking the time to do such an elaborate post.
Thanks, and you are welcome :) I hope it goes well. The first attempt might not be perfect (mine wasn't). As you try it, you'll see for yourself where the difficulties are and what you need to pay attention to. (Keeping tension on the verticals around the lock-off point the same as for all the other verticals can be a little tricky--keep that in mind when you do it.)
Im the random facebook guy from Guatemala by the way, never thought i would learn how to rehead a djembe from a teacher that lives 1/2 the way around the world.
The marvels of technology :)

Cheers,

Michi.
By michi
Just came across this drum at a shop, with another variation on the closing knot. Image quality isn't great because the light was low, and all I had was my iPhone. But it's good enough to see the knot.

Anyone know how to tie this? (I haven't tried yet.)

Cheers,

Michi.
IMG_0070.JPG
Closing knot
IMG_0070.JPG (323.41KiB)Viewed 2955 times
IMG_0071.JPG
Close-up of closing knot
IMG_0071.JPG (313.01KiB)Viewed 2955 times
By bubudi
i've also seen and used one with only the single horizontal line on the knot, but three vertical lines. it holds strongly. maybe i'll post a couple of pics one of these days.
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 2 of 3
  • 35 posts
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable