Advice and questions on making and fixing instruments
By Dugafola
here's a pic of my ascender with putty. i forgot what it's called but all you do is add water....
IMG_3298.jpg
IMG_3298.jpg (263.89 KiB) Viewed 2727 times
By michi
I like the way you are using two cleats instead of locking pliers. Very elegant solution. I'll have to try that myself!

Cheers,

Michi.
By McLellan-djembetoula
Shorty, you might find a rig like this a little bit more portable, but otherwise its almost the same setup.
Also, I think it was mischi looking for a sub for vice grips...
Here goes.
With a table puller (or barstool as you will see in my pix post) and clam cleat (or side cleat like Shorty uses), you do not require any slack in the vertical. As you pull down on the one with the cleat, pull the next one AHEAD of it with your free hand so as to take up the slack as you create it. There is almost no slip back at all, at least comparable to using vice grips and there is NO WEAR on the rope save the minor damage you do with the cleat.
SUPER BONUS, once you get the hang of pulling two ropes at the same time, one with the cleat and one with your hand, you can tune a drum very quickly and because it is so easy (you really do have to be careful) you can pull all the verticals very consistently which I think to be of more importance than whether or not you can tune up the drum without knots (I can, I choose knot to).
stool two.jpeg
stool two.jpeg (67.41 KiB) Viewed 2582 times
stool one.jpeg
stool one.jpeg (29.45 KiB) Viewed 2582 times
I have skinned and tuned over 200 djembes on this contraption. I put it together for about 50$
By shortypalmer
Hi McLellen
That rig does look very portable, why i like my table is i can convert it to pulling diamonds while standing. The whole pulling system is based on the flat cleat i use. I now have a total of 5 cleats on the table. one to pull with, one to hold the rope, one attached to a short rope to pull a diamond which is also attached to the lever cleat, one to hold the holding cleat and one on the lever to hold the pulling cleat making it completely adjustable for any size of drum. I have taken three orders for the table. building the table is the easy part, writing the directions on how to put it together (it will be shipped in a flat box) and instructions for use will be the hard part.
By McLellan-djembetoula
Portable, durable, adjustable, all that. I especially like the 50.00 part. I made a few to sell and ended up giving them to my friends. I'm pretty sure the one Bolokada is pictured using was at some point modeled after one I made for somebody. I'm glad it got passed on and expanded upon. The original idea wasn't mine, I heard about one mounted on a pick-up truck and I just adapted that idea to something I could afford.
Did you follow the part about pulling the next down vertical ahead of where the cleat is pulling to take up the slack as the cleat creates it? Talk about hard to explain! I think the hard part is getting people to settle down and realize that it really can pull too hard and that even tension is way more important than tuning the drum with no knots. Especially if you are using normal djembe rope and not some kryptonite-infused-kevlar-titanium-poly-carbon-weave-braid-core-fiber-thing (OOooo! where can I get some of that? And maybe a YAK skin!)
Thanks for checking the post!
By Dugafola
McLellan-djembetoula wrote: I'm pretty sure the one Bolokada is pictured using was at some point modeled after one I made for somebody.
Nope!
By McLellan-djembetoula
Don't shave the 'stash.
All I know is that when he saw one I had made about 8 years ago, he didn't really like it. Maybe he saw one later that he liked better, but the one in the picture is similar (they all do the same thing and hence ALL look similar, so what do I know?). Like I said, the whole thing was not my idea and I would not attempt to take credit for any of it. I will take credit for the drums I put together, but not for most of the tricks that I use to do it. I'm just trying to share what I do know because the knowledge is not mine to keep.
Thanks for keeping up with the post and I appreciate the feedback. From reading your other posts, it sounds like you know what you are doing and I look forward to picking up some new tricks of the trade.
Did you follow the part about pulling verticals ahead of where the cleat pulls? I'm interested in how that works for other people. I want to contribute and I think I figured one out.
Much respect.
~Mc~
By michi
That's an awesome job, congratulations! Super-simple and super-effective!

Cheers,

Michi.
By teb
I agree with Michi awesome job! Simple/effective, and makes the job so much easier. Seeing your video is very helpful. Thanks for the post.

Tom