Advice and questions on making and fixing instruments
By jimmymack71
Hi Guys, yes it was a pulling stand I was looking for, Aiduenu thanks for you ideas aswell but I already use a metal pulling bar with a hook on the end that I made which is great, and I know you can get the same result with the big stick as in your picture, but it was a pulling stand as In the picture at the top with Bolokada that I was looking to make.Thanks everyone!!
By michi
Rhythm House Drums wrote:I've made a pulling stand utilizing 2 double pulleys. It's super fast... I'll try and get some pics up here.
Please do, really curious!

Cheers,

Michi.
By Rhythm House Drums
Here it is... a quick shot of the stand. It's a bit beefy and thrown together.... I got all the wood from a tree house that was in our back yard when we moved here. All the wood is 2x6. The bottom has a frame of 2x6's with some outdoor plywood on top. The spring is used to pull the foot pedal back up, got it at Lowes for a screen door. The rope attaches to the spring (which is attached to an eye screw) goes through a single mounted pulley and then to a single swivel pulley that is attached to an eye hook and 2 D-ring things (to get it about centered over the bottom eye hook)... from the swivel pulley it goes to a piece of metal I fabricated to attach the rope cleat too. the metal has a hole at the top for the rope, and a hole at the bottom for another D-ring that I use to connect the top double pulley... then the cleat screws in to it. There is a bend at the top so that the cleat rests parallel to the djembe rope when tightening. The next rope attaches to the top double pulley goes down to the bottom double pulley, up, then down to the foot pedal. The foot pedal moves about 2.5 feet for about 6 inches of pull on the verts. DO NOT put all your weight on this, you'll pop the rope. I only use this after I have hand tightened as tight as I can... I usually go around once just pushing my foot down till I feel a slight bit of resistance... then I wait a day or so and go around again pushing a bit harder. If I want no diamonds, I go around a third time... I've popped many heads till I figured out the right pressure on this thing. Maybe a single pulley would be safer??

Hope this helps!! or better yet... sparks some discussion on how to improve it!!

By michi
Wow, that's quite a contraption :) Thanks for posting this!

I guess that's a cheap and effective way to make a pulling stand. But I don't see the need for all the pulleys. Suppose you hinge the foot pedal a little bit to the rear of a plumb line taken from the top of the rim of the shell, say 15cm or so. Put a hook or other attachment point directly below the rim onto the foot pedal, and then have the foot pedal extend out for another 30cm or so. Put a piece of rope with the cleat on that attachment point. If you stand on the foot pedal, you'll get 3:1 leverage. Say you stand with your whole weight on the foot pedal, that's around 200kg of pull, which is an awful lot.

In other words, I don't think there is any need for all the pulleys and extra leverage, making the whole thing a little simpler, and reducing the risk of exceeding the breaking strength of the rope. If you've managed to break rope with the stand as it is now, that's an indication that you have more leverage than necessary. So, I'd reduce the leverage to make it safer to use.

Also, I've never been all that fond of trying to get every last bit of tension on a drum by just pulling the verticals. I usually put a moderate amount of tension on the verticals and then start weaving to bring the drum up to pitch. As a rule, I don't run out of room to weave before the skin breaks, unless I use new rope that hasn't been stretched yet. And the weave looks pretty anyway...

Cheers,

Michi.
By buttafingers
I'm with Rachel on this one. Simple is good. If you didn't want to dedicate a table top with the floor-flanges and nipples screwed in, you could just as easily bore a couple holes and drop your pipes in there. It would be stronger most cases and you could make 3 or 4 holes to accommodate different drum diameters.

Another simple thing you could do is make one of the pipes a bit longer, elbow it over and then attach a piece of light bungee cord to the end of it. The cord would hang down over the edge of the table, centered between the two pipes. Attach your rope puller to this. Then take a piece of rope and also tie it to the rope puller. On the end of this rope you put in a large loop for your foot, or to put a foot pedal through.

It would work in the same manner as the other ones, except it could completely break down. Most of us (I assume) don't build dozens of drums, but would like an effective system for the occasional tune-up or reskinning.
By bubudi
nice work, kevin. i admire anyone that can just put together something like that. props also for posting it on the forum so others can learn and offer their own ideas - that way we might be able to come up with a few different models to suit different needs. for instance, some might like a portable model (like the one i use) and others might prefer the table style. some pulling stands might not be able to pull dunun (my model doesn't do that, unless i take the wooden bit off and replace it with something flat that can grip the side of the dunun to hold it in place - i'm gonna try that!). dunun don't really need to be pulled anywhere as tightly as djembes, but it would be nice to have a stand that can also bring the dunun to your height and reduce strain on your back.

your stand looks very solid, but it's also the biggest mofo i've ever seen! have you got any plans to sell stands in the us? there is a definite market for it. you are in a very good position to do this because you have both woodworking skills and metalwork skills. you could weld together a more compact unit or use a combination of wood and metal. and being a drum retailer and maker, you are in a good position to sell pulling stands and demonstrate their use. if you do go down this route, consider the urban folk who live in apartments and share houses who would need a compact unit. you could check out the photo that michi posted in the other thread and get some ideas off that. basically, it's a stable metal base, a metal pipe coming up just back from centre, attaching to a piece of wood which you rest the drum on (bringing the drum to working height), a metal rod at the front angled up/forward with a piece of rope attached to it. the rope goes through the hole in the clam cleat. the advantages are: more flexibility of where to put the cleat, no need to mess with the cleat to attach it to the unit, and if you put too much force on the pedal, the rope holding the cleat to the stand can snap (better that this snaps than your djembe rope, imo - you can easily replace that little bit of rope and retie the clam cleat. but if you didn't want to have to replace the rope on your stand, you could use 6mm rope on the stand and use 5mm on your djembes). finally, the pedal (again metal in my case) is screwed onto the main pipe and has a spring for resistance to bring it back to starting position.

i'm not understanding exactly where you rest your djembe on your contraption. it's important to have something stable to rest it on so you can have 2 free hands while your foot's down on the pedal (and in case anything goes wrong with the ropes, so your djembe can't fall to the ground).

a feature that would be cool to have on any pulling stand is something to hold the last vertical while you pull the next one... everyone uses vice grips, but it would be nice to have something equal to that which is attached to the actual stand and which doesn't chew down on the rope as much as the teeth on vice grips do, so there will be less fray, giving you more milage for your rope.

another feature that would be nice: two clam cleats. one for 4mm rope (small djembes) and one for 5 or 6mm rope. twin clam! 8)
By bubudi
James wrote:I have a video close up of Sauls pulling stand. I'll post it at some point...
that's my friend's stand... he has the same stand as i do.
By the kid
I've been inspired to build my own pulling stand. My djembes are really big so i need to make the mother of all pulling stands... Stand well back and put on some protective gogles :uglynerd: ..they'll do

da dada daaa da dddddddddaaaaaaaaaaaa

By Rhythm House Drums
KEANIEirishdjembe
Damn... now I gotta go bigger... haha

BTW I found the idea for the stand I build somewhere online... wasn't completely origional, however I did add a touch of my own thoughts to it.

It is big and bulky, but I built it out of wood I already had.... and it serves it's purpose...and the overkill with all the double pulleys was fun to design! It's rugged and stays outside, usually under that table.

bubudi
You asked about how the drum stays up... The drum goes on the black platform behind the 2x6's. The 2x6' support the drum so it doesn't move when I'm tightening. Both hands free!! I've used this thing on multipal sized drums from small ashikos to large doundouba(not that I need it for that... but actually I did for min to get the rings to come down).

Also the way the cleat is designed is that I can fit rope from 6mm to 4mm. The only trouble I've had is when doing one of those small djembes with the shoelace type flat rope... I just use a dowel... like in the olden days :) ... for tightening those up
By michi
KEANIEirishdjembe wrote:I've been inspired to build my own pulling stand. My djembes are really big so i need to make the mother of all pulling stands...
Man, I just spent the last three minutes laughing uncontrollably. Thanks for that, this really made my day! :D

Cheers,

Michi.