Advice and questions on making and fixing instruments
By metanoia
Hi guys. I just bought a djembe. As I was tuning it today the skin popped at the ring.
Can anyone tell me where this djembe is from and the type of wood?
Also I am looking to buy a thick goat skin and some new rope. Is the thicker hide easier to play? I am scared that I will damage a thin skin trying to put it on as it will be my first time.
Could you guys point me to a trustworthy source where I can buy one? I am in the US.

https://imgur.com/a/zns5n

Thank you guys.
By Taps&slones
Not Africa,lol that's not an authentic djembe. Your bearng edge also looks suspect.
Drumskull, shorty at djembe drums and skins, or motherland music are all reliable for skins and rope
By the kid
Hard to say unless someone familiar with that particular model. What can be said is it is not an african djembe. Could be from Bali or whatever. The wood is probably not as dense as african hard wood. It is mechanically turned rather than carved as evident by the grooves in the bowl due to the tooling. The bowl is also thicker than average djembe and sound hole smaller. Basically it was not designed for sound but rather to capture the djembe shape in a cheaper drum.

Sound wise i find this style bit choked off due to small hole and stem plus wood and skin set up, but with new skin it can sound better. I would go for calf skin if you want to improve the sound or a thick goat would be next if no calf available. I play goat too but generally find calf better on djembes that need some umf. Goat is boring on an average djembe imo. Everyone has it. Cow gives better bass and more unique sounds.

I find thicker skins harder to mount. Cow is also stiffer than goat and harder to manage. It would also be recommended to change the ropes to stronger ones. Can have minor melt down when fiddling with drums like this with poor rope. Esp trying to mount thicker skins that need more effort to tune and so more stress on the ropes.

Drumskulls and wula are the famous djembe shops in the US to find skins. I guess post your area and someone may direct you to a shop close to you. There are manuals available to learn all the nuances to fixing your drum, if you ask nicely someone might mention them.
By drtom
metanoia wrote:Can anyone tell me where this djembe is from and the type of wood?
I am not familiar with the overall craftsmanship but can see signs of mass production. The thick walls suggest a soft wood. Except for the color of the wood, I might have guessed Indonesia as the origin. Mr. Kid might be correct about Bali.

The bearing edge is level and decently shaped. I wouldn't do anything major to it except possibly sand it smooth.
metanoia wrote:Is the thicker hide easier to play?
Thicker skin is not easier to play. Choose thicker if you're looking for a deeper tone or more durability.
metanoia wrote:I am scared that I will damage a thin skin trying to put it on as it will be my first time.
Good African goat skins are incredibly strong and durable. Unless you mistreat them, I doubt even a thin one will fail you.
metanoia wrote:Could you guys point me to a trustworthy source where I can buy one? I am in the US.
Shorty at DD&S sells fine skins and decent rope at good prices. Matt at DSD sells flawless skins and great rope, though his prices reflect this.