Advice and questions on making and fixing instruments
By drtom
djembefeeling wrote:Looks like you did work with epoxy. Looks good. Doesn't even look like excessive work hours.
Epoxy indeed. Notice the lack of sawdust; who's going to see it?

I've done enough similar projects that (you're right) it doesn't take too long, though there is a learning curve. Beside the corrective work on the bearing edge, I replaced the rings, rope and skin, so plenty of time and effort was spent on this drum as it is.
djembefeeling wrote:How did you hold it in shape?
Form a mold with tape.

I do not disagree with the suggestion to redo the patch. Because of my advantage of first hand access to the drum I judged this would not be necessary.

In case anyone is curious, here is the result . . .
By bighammer
If it were mine, I'd chisel out the ugly wood and fit in a new piece. If it's angled a bit, it would tighten as it's clamped in. After the grue dries, I'd pare it down and true up the edge.
By the kid
'd chisel out the ugly wood and fit in a new piece. If it's angled a bit, it would tighten as it's clamped in.
I reckon you don't want to put pressure inside a gap like this as that could lead to cracking other parts of the bowl. Some of the bowl may have weak points and adding pressure would weaken these.

Also you don't need to chisel something like this. You only need to get out the glue and sawdust that was put in there and put in a new matherial, like glue or mix of glue and saw dust.
By the kid
I'm thinking more about it being a bad idea to force something into the gap with a vice. you could expand the actual gap your trying to fix as well as damage other parts of the bowl. I think it's back to the drawing board with that idea.
By drtom
the kid wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:04 pm
I'm thinking more about it being a bad idea to force something into the gap with a vice. you could expand the actual gap your trying to fix as well as damage other parts of the bowl. I think it's back to the drawing board with that idea.
That's a valid point, one I think few people would have thought of .

I think this would have to be determined on a case by case basis, depending on several factors, some of which could only be properly assessed by a first hand examination.

How well/poorly does the new piece fit? How much displacement would occur? What is the condition of the surrounding shell? How strong/weak/flexible/brittle is it? etc.?