djembe zoom

Advice and questions on making and fixing instruments
By djembefeeling
Hey boromir, you just deprived me of the nobel prize, you know?! :rofl:

That link is great (can you try to put only the part of the link after the equal sign into the youtube bracket, then we can actually see the video here on the forum). The video is already 5 years old, I'Ve never seen nor heard about that trick before, probably because I've never dealt with Remo and sorts. And you are right, the foam stripes apporach doesn't do a lot in a usual djembe from Africa which is carved with patterns. But some of them do ring so I will try this approach. At least some new finding from Wolfgang that it completely works if you just tape the foot.

The improvement of the Remo was great, though it still doesn't result in a great djembe.
By boromir76
DF, I am sorry that I spoiled your nomination. It was non intentional. There will be plenty of other opportunities. :-)

I have corrected the YT link. Usual hand made djembe with patterns does not need stripes. But the djembes wich have been way to much sanded inside, could be " rescued" with this aproach. It is surprising how much effect this few sripes have. I guess, this effect could be much stronger, when more stripes are aplied.
By djembefeeling
boromir76 wrote:I guess, this effect could be much stronger, when more stripes are aplied.
I don't think so. Too many stripes can muffle the sound way too much. I guess it's all trial and error until you find the optimum.
By boromir76
djembefeeling wrote:I don't think so. Too many stripes can muffle the sound way too much. I guess it's all trial and error until you find the optimum.
Ofcourse, I was just mentioning it as an option. To much stripes can go in the other direction, resulting in dry and muffled sound.
By boromir76
Nope, the Djembe acoustics Nobel prize should go to somebody else, but we have to find out who that is. :-) I have seen first video with this stripes dampening technique at least 10 years ago. Even older video than the one in my previous post. Unfortunately, I don't know who made it, or where the video could be found. :)