Just for giggles
By larsb
Wow totally didn't know where this was going ... Very interesting, in a way. To each there own! I do admire the mindfulness of what she is doing ... Using the senses, being in the moment.
Lars
By Waraba
This I think it's an example of a new genre a video. There are people who get synesthetic responses to certain stimuli such as whispering and light sounds such as stroking a djembe skin. It reportedly gives a somewhat euphoric feeling and pleasant physical sensation down the spine. The American radio show "This American Life" did a segment on it. Just like certain people might, say, pore over YouTube videos late into the night of djembe players, these people spend copious amounts of time binge-watching whisper videos where a (usually) woman gives a lengthy explanation of her miniature model deer figurines, or something like that.

Myself, I can't tolerate being whispered at about minutiae, not even with a djembe involved.
Last edited by Waraba on Sun May 11, 2014 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
By michi
Well, ASMR might work as relaxation technique for some people, and I can't see it doing any harm. So far, there is no scientific evidence to confirm or refute the claimed effects. It may be just another fad. But then, spending some quiet moments probably has some benefit for most people.

As for me, I think I'll stick to my current playing techniques ;-)

Michi.
By Waraba
Completely harmless. Here's Wikipedia:

"A commonly reported stimulus for ASMR is the sound of whispering. As evident on YouTube, a variety of videos and audio recordings involve the creator whispering or communicating with a soft-spoken intonation into a camera or sound recording device.[9][10][11][12]

Many role-playing videos and audio recordings also aim to stimulate ASMR. Examples include descriptive sessions, in a style similar to guided imagery, for experiences such as haircuts, visits to a doctor's office, and ear-cleaning. While these make-believe situations are acted out by the creator, viewers and listeners report an ASMR effect that relieves insomnia,[2] anxiety or panic attacks.[9]"
By Crispy
At 5:08, I would LOVE to have heard an ear-splitting call from her and have the video pan out to a whole ensemble playing an intense Makru.

I might make a video like that myself.
By drtom
drtom wrote:I don't mean to brag, but I've scratched my @55 better than that. ( . . . whispering . . . .)

drtom
I should add that, on such occasions, I've been quite mindful and in the moment as well. You know, one of those OHHH MAMA! moments. ( . . . whispering . . . )

On occasion, I throw in a "winds" self-accompaniment. This can either be very mindful and deliberate or quite spontaneous and improvised. ( . . . still whispering . . . )

drtom