Just for giggles
By michi
Wow…

Some of it is right, but only very little. Or, if you prefer, all of it is wrong, except for a small fraction :(

I think this particular djembe might actually be sounding worse than a Remo. (Not totally sure about that, but it's close…) I don't think I'll bother critiquing the playing in the second half…

Michi.
By Waraba
He said it would be a pretty good idea to find a cheap teacher.
By djembeweaver
"When you have a towel it takes it to a whole different level"

Quote of the week?

Jon
By michi
Wow. I'm speechless. That really is something else…

I'm so glad that I've just been let in on one of the secrets of the djembe. Now that it's no longer a secret, I'll rush and immediately pass this technique on to all my students. Oh man… :(

Michi.
By Tom
Astounding. With so many incredible djembe players so close by in NYC, the question is why on earth would they bring in this poser? Oh, I forgot, x8 is posing as well. Now that's a secret worth sharing.
By nkolisnyk
I think he'd be better served by that towel if he put it over his face, in case he ever wanted to start a career as a professional percussionist. The internet is forever, man! Think before you record yourself for the world!
By james hundley
I got an x8 djembe for Christmas and have been enjoying learning at a slow pace. Since I am new, I obviously can't pick out whats wrong in the x8 videos. May I please have some guidance/specific warnings about what I need to beware of. Perhaps I have some unlearning to do?

Thanks!
By djembefeeling
james hundley wrote:May I please have some guidance/specific warnings about what I need to beware of.
hi james. in the first video, the guy has no clue about the rhythm. the most he is showing is, as michi said, wrong. and his djembe sounds awful. if you see Malian djembefolas drumming this rhythm, you will know what I mean. there is so much crap on youtube. in the second video, the guy has no clue about djembe technique. the secret of the djembe slap is still a secret to him. At best, he is doing conga style. he treats all drums the same way. but all drums have specific characteristics and usuallly need a different technique.

there are some good videos on youtube, and by browsing this forum in the video, or music and drrumming, and rhythm of the month section you can see plenty of them with lots of comments by people who know their stuff.

If you want to learn the djembe right from the beginning, try different teachers in your region, and ask around what people who seem to know a bit think of them. ask where he or she learned his or her rhythms from, if they where in Africa and the like. and then hook up at least for a year or so.

wish you as much fun and joy with drumming as I do. it's getting better and better with time...

best, jürgen
By dununbabe
ugh. since the djembe "speaks", if we put a towel over it, won't it mean we dont want to hear what it says? :puke:
By michi
dununbabe wrote:ugh. since the djembe "speaks", if we put a towel over it, won't it mean we dont want to hear what it says? :puke:
I suspect you are right. Although, in this particular case, I was grateful for the towel… ;)

Michi.
By tigrismentis
james hundley wrote:I got an x8 djembe for Christmas and have been enjoying learning at a slow pace. Since I am new, I obviously can't pick out whats wrong in the x8 videos. May I please have some guidance/specific warnings about what I need to beware of. Perhaps I have some unlearning to do?

Thanks!
I second djembefeeling in looking for a teacher near you. I started about 6 months ago when I happened to hear about a djembe teacher from my music professor in college who I otherwise would probably not have heard of. But it seems like they're out there, you just have to search em out :)

Best of luck!!