Just for giggles
By michi
bubudi wrote:that reminds me of a krio proverb: ogiri de laf kenda fo smehl (ogiri is laughing at kenda for smelling, or in other words, the pot calling the kettle black!). as you may have guessed, ogiri is yet another fermented product, this time coming from the egusi melon seed. another one for the list? :)
Nice one :) Yes, another one for the list. What's ogiri taste like? Anything you can compare it with?

Cheers,

Michi.
By chin
Hi Michi,

How about chicken feet then? Duck's tongue? or... butt of chicken? How about "pee-ing prawn"?

Or if you happen to drop by in Hong Kong, you can always try frog's ovaries - though mainly the women eat that, as it is said to be good for the skin and women's health in general. I ate plenty of that in my life already...

Hmmm... oh and we have turtle jelly too, it's a totally normal food here, we have those traditional herb tea store every other street that sells turtle jelly!

What else... stinky tofu, but then that's not really weird... just stinky...
pig stomach? or... cow's p*nis? (excuse my language, but it's said to be good for men in you know what way) we have alcohol made with mice too, and alcohol made with animal's p*nis, alcohol with a whole snake inside... you name it, anything gross you can put it in alcohol and it's good for men!

I hope I'm not scaring people off Hong Kong, we do eat normal food too......

Bon appétit,
Alison
By michi
chin wrote:Hi Michi,

How about chicken feet then? Duck's tongue? or... butt of chicken?
I've done all of those :)

Can't say I'm too fond of the chicken feet. Just a bit too scrawny, with not all that much taste. The duck's tongue is OK, much like ox tongue, but I'm not fond of all the little bones inside. Not something I would seek out again, even though I didn't mind eating it. The butt of chicken is OK, if you don't mind the fatty taste.
How about "pee-ing prawn"?
That one is new to me. Care to enlighten me? :-)
Or if you happen to drop by in Hong Kong, you can always try frog's ovaries - though mainly the women eat that, as it is said to be good for the skin and women's health in general. I ate plenty of that in my life already...
Dang, I was in Hong Kong twelve hours ago and missed that one. Will make it a point to seek that one out next time!
Hmmm... oh and we have turtle jelly too, it's a totally normal food here, we have those traditional herb tea store every other street that sells turtle jelly!
Haven't heard of that one yet either. How is it made?
What else... stinky tofu, but then that's not really weird... just stinky...
Another one to put on my list :)
pig stomach? or... cow's p*nis?
Done both of those. I like the pig stomach, but couldn't get excited about the cow's penis. I also tried cow's udder (a Bavarian speciality). Again, rather boring. Soft white meat with a spongy texture, a little bit like brains, with not much flavour and quite boring.
I hope I'm not scaring people off Hong Kong, we do eat normal food too......
The reality is that almost all parts of almost all animals can be eaten. It's protein, after all. There are only a few exceptions, such as the toxic glands of the puffer fish. (No, I have never had a chance to try fugu. From what I've been told, it tastes rather boring and plain. The point of eating it seems to be the thrill rather than the taste…)

Cheers,

Michi.
By chin
Michi, be sure to look for “Hui Lau Shan Healthy Dessert" around, it is a franchised dessert store which locate around the whole city. I can't really say what is the proper English name of that frog's thing... if you drop by next time, pm me and I write you the Chinese characters so you can try.

For turtle jelly, you have to look for "Hoi Tin Tong" which is a traditional herbal tea shop... I'm not 100% sure how it is made, but I think they kill the turtle and take the bottom part of the shell and cooked with many other herbs for 10+ hours, then chilled and "jellified"...

There are weird "herbs" too, for irritated skin/allergy/itchy skin, you take exuviae of the cicada... for sore throat/lose of voice, you drop a few preserved bees in hot water and drink the water...
By Shane 夏恩
I do really enjoy a lot of Asian foods, but I`ll give the Turtle a miss, and I can`t even talk to friends while they eat Stinky Tofu! PEeeeeW! :mrgreen:
cancer-goat-4e86163-intro.jpg
cancer-goat-4e86163-intro.jpg (6.89 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
:D
By VicD
I've never been a picky eater, but not quite as adventurous as Michi!

I lived in Izmir, Turkey, as a small child (went to Kindergarten there, actually) and my parents & I would go downtown in the middle of the night to get shish-kabob from street vendors.
Delicious stuff - I can still remember how it tasted!

We started being careful, though, when word got around the AF base that many vendors were using goat instead of lamb.

Stopped altogether when cat and dog became the #1 ingredients!
By michi
VicD wrote:I lived in Izmir, Turkey, as a small child (went to Kindergarten there, actually) and my parents & I would go downtown in the middle of the night to get shish-kabob from street vendors.
Delicious stuff - I can still remember how it tasted!
I stayed in Izmire for a few weeks in the seventies. One thing I really liked was all the food you could get from the street vendors with their little carts. Shish-kabob was one of my favourites too, preferably followed by a grilled cob of corn and some lokma.
We started being careful, though, when word got around the AF base that many vendors were using goat instead of lamb.
Small world. I had a tour through that base in 1976. The father of a mate of mine worked there and showed us around. Had lunch there, but nothing exotic. It was steak with french fries and a Coke :)
Stopped altogether when cat and dog became the #1 ingredients!
The concern (other than personal preference) with dog or cat really isn't that it's dog or cat but that the meat, because it is not normally sold for human consumption, comes from uncontrolled sources. So there are essentially no controls of the health of the animal or the slaughtering and distribution process. Generally, the worst that happens is that you might get diarrhoea for a day or two. In some cases, the experience can even be worth paying that price :)

Michi.