Just for giggles
By michi
People studying for a music degree at Griffith University in Brisbane are to be envied for the profound insights they will gain. From the university's percussion department front page:
Associate Professor Vanessa Tomlinson, Head of Percussion wrote:"Students in the percussion department will learn that their marimba was once a tree."
Michi.
By Waraba
I went to the page. I am really hoping that quote was originally embedded within a deeper context. It doesn't really help with the image problem we drummers have, e.g., What do you call a guy who likes to hang out with musicians? (Guess).
By michi
Waraba wrote:I went to the page. I am really hoping that quote was originally embedded within a deeper context.
I do hope so too! :)

What surprises me is that no-one seems to have realized the irony of putting that kind of statement as a tag line on the front page…
What do you call a guy who likes to hang out with musicians? (Guess).
I have no idea. Please clue me in! :)

Michi.
By bkidd
What do you call a guy who likes to hang out with musicians? (Guess).
I'm guessing you weren't looking for groupie or roadie ;)
By michi
rachelnguyen wrote:Ha ha, a bodhran player!
Oh, sorry for my ignorance. I thought Rachel was guessing, not answering :-)

Cheers,

Michi.
By Waraba
A: a drummer.
By michi
EvanP wrote:How do you do a rim shot on a djembe?
I don't know. How do you?

Cheers,

Michi.
By the kid
There are some good ones there alright. I've heard a few that have been modified for djembe too. I wasn't so impressed with those...

It really shows a bit of ignorance toward percussion. But that is the way some people think about bodhran/djembe. It sucks but people who play either instrument badly and loudly and in the wrong context give the instrument a bad name.

As for the Irish, we're pretty funny but the jokes usually on us :mrgreen:

But for fun, we slag everybody especially germans and americans. ;) Easy targets really.