Just for giggles
We should ask not, "is it a djembe," but, "Is it still a Remo?"
Ahem… "Once a Remo, always a Remo"? ;)

Robin, congratulations on all that fine work! I can see that you put a lot of love and effort into this. And thanks for reporting back here too!

As to the result, it definitely sounds a lot better than a standard Remo now. The goat skin definitely makes a difference. (Not that I'm surprised, seeing how different synthetic skins sound when compared with goat skins on traditional shells.)

Does it sound good now? Going by the recording, I'm afraid I'd have to say "no". The goat skin doesn't save the drum. It makes a big difference, but it doesn't lift it into the league of "real" djembes.

By the way, I've just (finally) finished building that dark Tweneboa shell from Ghana. I played it for the first time this morning, and I have to say, I'm impressed. I want to give the skin some time to settle in, and take some more time to play this drum before I come up with a verdict.

As to the Remos, Robin, big kudos to you for embarking on this experiment! As of now, I'm still in the camp of "nothing can save a Remo", I'm afraid :(

Cheers,

Michi.