Just for giggles
By michi
Another spectacular find:
p156994_2a.jpg
Elephant djembe
p156994_2a.jpg (63.34 KiB) Viewed 2364 times
Note that the design effectively leaves only one third of the foot, which changes the acoustic properties of the drum...

Michi.
By michi
Just saw this one at Volcano Percussion:
thumbnail.asp.jpeg
Volcano Djembe, Koa wood
thumbnail.asp.jpeg (27.82 KiB) Viewed 2352 times
Koa is a very beautiful wood. Still, I'm not sure I like the sound all that much. Here is demo video from the Volcano website:

It looks like Volcano make outstanding congas though. Check out these Koa congas. Very beautiful indeed, and a conga friend of mine tells me that they sound brilliant. Not cheap though. Prices range from $1,949.00 to $2,599.00 per drum, depending on size and wood grade.

Cheers,

Michi.
By e2c
Re. Volcano Percussion: I've seen a lot of debate about their drums on some conga boards. (I was curious, especially given their prices - !!! - so I checked.)

The djembe they're seling is a knock-off of what Latin Percussion and Toca have been making for the past 12-15 years (approximately).
By michi
e2c wrote:Re. Volcano Percussion: I've seen a lot of debate about their drums on some conga boards. (I was curious, especially given their prices - !!! - so I checked.)
I know very little about congas, so I honestly don't know whether they are any good. But the wood is certainly stunning!
The djembe they're seling is a knock-off of what Latin Percussion and Toca have been making for the past 12-15 years (approximately).
Yes, looks very similar, sans Comfort Curve II rim :)

BTW, I had a bit of a look at descriptions of Koa wood. Apparently, it's a medium-density hardwood, which would make it second choice as a djembe wood.

Cheers,

Michi.
By e2c
Koa is beautiful! You see it a lot in Hawaii, used for things like bowls and decorative objects and sometimes furniture - but it's heavy!

I don't know enough about congas to be able to comment, either, except to say that Volcano's prices are awfully high. And I'm not sure I'd want to have a conga made of koa...
By dleufer
Prime stuff here from Kadiki Musica
Some seriously hairy goats.
Someone needs to make a Jahmbé, black haired goat with dreads. Unreal
By Djembe-nerd
These are "double effect" djembes.

You play and get tickled at the same time :rofl:
By Marc_M
A few other gems...

Ginger

from
http://www.remo.com/portal/pages/drum_c ... +Drum.html

Is that your gourd, or are your just happy to jam with me ! ! !

One of many from Wildcanyonrhythm.com
http://www.wildcanyonrhythm.com/gourd_drums.htm

Not sure if this one falls into the Middle Eastern porcelain category
Artist does say, "What a unique addition to your band, music class, or drum collection. Maybe you simply want to have some fun beating a drum!"

from
http://www.etsy.com/listing/23846017/st ... -hand-drum

Granted this one is an 8" jembe, but proportions look odd. Check out size of rope by comparison

from
http://www.drumtrade.co.uk/8-djembe-p-36.html

Looks interesting... no idea of sound quality however of the following...

from
http://www.lpmusic.com/Product_Showcase ... embes.html

I saw drums similar to this in Cuba that were in a museum dedicated to Santeria, so this may be a real deal, not sure. Very interesting to look at. Anyone know for sure?

Buy it at
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0546388382
By Sdready
Hey all :-)

This thread now made my day :rofl:

But one thing:
those funny looking Djembes with all the long fur etc... this store is actually about 20 minutes from where I live, and I can tell you sth about them ^^
They buy the shells in Africa (they say they buy the best shells only, lots of Lenke shells can be found) and go over them again to make them very smooth... yes they have pricey ones of up to 2000 euro, and yes some of them look funny (only very few of them have long hair!) but the sound is AWESOME.
They also have well-made normal priced ones between 200-300 Euro and really excellent ones around 500 Euro... they always take good care of finishing the shells and they use good wood so I think its worth it.
I can´t compare those with good Djembe manufacturers around Africa - but up here in Germany they are a well known address for People being into Djembe drumming.

On the one picture with the very long haired Djembe though I really wonder what they did with so little rope... their other drums dont look like that. :shock: and... by the way, I too find these ones ugly. I realy don´t know who is responsible for that kind of design....

Take Care!
Sdready
By michi
Sdready wrote:those funny looking Djembes with all the long fur etc...
[...]
They also have well-made normal priced ones between 200-300 Euro and really excellent ones around 500 Euro... they always take good care of finishing the shells and they use good wood so I think its worth it.
Yes, they show some good-looking shells on their site. But, looking at the glass-like polished interior surface of their super-expensive drums, I really wonder what on earth possessed them to do that. These drums will almost certainly ring like hell. And just consider this abomination:
Djembe-Art-Trommeln-DA137-5.10.10.jpg
Golden Voice
Djembe-Art-Trommeln-DA137-5.10.10.jpg (50.32 KiB) Viewed 2293 times
Djembe-Art-Trommeln-DA137b.jpg
Golden Voice, interior
Djembe-Art-Trommeln-DA137b.jpg (21.09 KiB) Viewed 2293 times
That thing is called "Golden Voice" and costs a cool €1290. By the looks of things, it has 20 loops and the rings are down about three inches. Whoever assembled this drum is clueless, hairy bits notwithstanding. A real shame too, because the shell itself looks very nice, if it hadn't been ruined by smoothing the interior…

Michi.
By bubudi
michi, that one is priceless! 'golden voice' no doubt refers to the price tag! i wonder how long it'll sit in their shop before they realise they need to reskin it using smaller rings, and shave off the 'rats tail' that went out of style in the late 80s, together with the mullet.
By michi
bubudi wrote:shave off the 'rats tail' that went out of style in the late 80s, together with the mullet.
You mean there was a time when the rats tail was in vogue? Late 80s, eh? I didn't start drumming until 2004, so I have no history there. (But you seem to be showing your age Bubudi ;) )

Do you have more info on this? I'm genuinely curious about the rats tail thing. I imagine this would have been popular only in the West. (At least, I've never seen an image of an African professional playing a drum with a rats tail.)

Cheers,

Michi.
By e2c
Oh, I'm sure it's "for real"... there are so many different kinds of drums in Africa, and lots of them have cylindrical shapes.

I wonder where this came from, and if it was intended as a real (playable) instrument or something for the tourists...