[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
WULA Drums - Page 5 - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

Meeting place for buying and selling instruments
By jedge76
Bops...very reassuring for sure. Yes, I have been to many concerts that left my ears ringing for a couple of days. I can't see djembe even coming close to reproducing those kind of decibels outside of an indoor, group session. Thanks again man for your input. Much appreciated!

Michi...I have heard great things about the custom ear plugs. That is definitely on my list for the future. And you make a good point...you're body is always giving you signs, good and bad, I'll just need to pay attention to them! Thanks bro!

Adam...thank you for your firsthand account of how you go about protecting your ears. Some good ideas and compromises for sure. Thanks so much!
By jedge76
Ok, after looking through DSD's stock for about the millionth time, I've really noticed a difference in the bowl shape from the Mali to the Guinea style drum. Is there a major difference in projection/noise level between the two? There's a guinea djalla wood drum that really catches my eye at the moment. The most beautiful reddish toned djembe you could think of with no carvings. Just my cup of tea. I'll be going there soon :dance: Just curious what to expect in the differences between these localities of drums.

--Joseph
By Djembe-nerd
for about the millionth time, I've really noticed a difference in the bowl shape from the Mali to the Guinea style drum.
Since you are looking new to djembe, look for the size, first. Sit down with the drum between your legs and see if you are comfortable playing it. The head dia in particular.

Then look for the sound. If you are new and don;t know the sound you are looking for, take their advice. SInce you are going to DSD obviously all drums are good, but they can tell you which is better among the ones present over there in terms of your choices and situation.
By Dugafola
Adam wrote:
for about the millionth time, I've really noticed a difference in the bowl shape from the Mali to the Guinea style drum.
Since you are looking new to djembe, look for the size, first. Sit down with the drum between your legs and see if you are comfortable playing it. The head dia in particular.

Then look for the sound. If you are new and don;t know the sound you are looking for, take their advice. SInce you are going to DSD obviously all drums are good, but they can tell you which is better among the ones present over there in terms of your choices and situation.
i stopped by the shop last friday and they have some really nice drums already skinned up.

there are also 2 really really focking nice Mali shells. bigguns too...14"+. perfect if you got a good sized hands. i think they are shells M61 and M45 on their site. also check out the mali dugura shells too.

some other really beautiful guinea drums too.

guinea drums will have a more squarish bowl with a taper down to the throat. most of their Mali stuff has rounded bowls with either a straight taper leg or a slightly "bell-ish" flare leg.

also, the interior of a guinea shell will have a 90* transition from bowl to leg and a Mali drum will have more of a rounded/smooth transition from bowl to leg. when you actually look inside the shells, you'll see what i'm talking about.

how does this affect the sound? my take: both types of shells will have clear distinction b/w bass/tone/slap since they are carved with "ideal" proportions (bowl height vs. leg height vs. throat diameter vs. head diameter vs. leg diameter). a trick i developed to check tone/slap distinction on a naked shell is to knock on the leg and the bowl. i think the Mali shell will have a more melodic slap than the more pronounced/sharp slap on a guinea drum as well as a longer sounding tone and bass.

my advice to you: buy one of each and love them like your children, unconditionally...and appreciate their differences.
By Djembe-nerd
Duga,

I don't know where I read but , does dugara wood has more chances of cracking in un friendly climate than other woods ?
By Dugafola
Adam wrote:Duga,

I don't know where I read but , does dugara wood has more chances of cracking in un friendly climate than other woods ?

i'm no wood expert but i'd say it's no more likely to crack than any other shell made out of djalla, lenke, goeni etc....dugura is one of the densest woods you can have for djembe along with hare/goeni and gele/bele/celen wood.

hare is the most the common of those 3 followed by dugura and then gele wood.

where do you live? i'd only be worried about it if you lived in the desert or high in elevation > 3000 ft.
By bops
I believe the main factor in wood cracking or splitting is moisture. If the rough does not dry out long enough before it is carved (should be about 1 year), then there could be a risk of cracking. Hard woods, like the ones Dugafola mentioned, should have very little risk of cracking or splitting if they are properly dried out.

The reputable vendors - WULA, DSD, etc - definitely have this under control. Shouldn't be any worry.
By Djembe-nerd
where do you live? i'd only be worried about it if you lived in the desert or high in elevation > 3000 ft.
Houston
By michi
Adam wrote:
in the desert or high in elevation > 3000 ft.
Houston
I don't think Houston qualifies ;)

Michi.
By Djembe-nerd
:-)
By Trog
I have been trying to find some wula djembe sound samples to hear what there drums sound like. I'd like to hear the different woods of there djembes as well.
Can anyone direct me to some?
By Waraba
bops wrote:
jedge76 wrote:I talked with Michael and he was super helpful. ...Great guys for sure!
Michael (Markus) is a great teacher. I mean a really, really great teacher. Always fun to see him.

I'll second that. I'll third it, too. Best djembe-related money I ever spent was 50 bucks for a private lesson with him. :djembe:
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 5 of 14
  • 201 posts
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable