Meeting place for buying and selling instruments
By Wooden Roots
Dugafola wrote:NICE piece. looks like a DSD.
Thanks Dugafola,

Yeah this is a sweet djembe for sure! I had fun building this one and only the rope is from DSD. This is one of a few shells that Aboubacar Kouyate brought back from Guinea last year.

Here is another shell that I built from that shipment. Not DSD, only the rope and this one has been sold. I have a few other shells that I am working on - PM me if you are interested.

Thanks,
Marcus
By Dugafola
i think those are both from DSD, especially the first one. rubber bottom, metal work, edge work...finish...everything reeks of drumskull.

not sure why you'd want to pass it off as your own work when it's not.
By Wooden Roots
Dugafola wrote:i think those are both from DSD, especially the first one. rubber bottom, metal work, edge work...finish...everything reeks of drumskull.

not sure why you'd want to pass it off as your own work when it's not.
Dugafola - not sure how to take your comment. However since this is all my work but you think its a DSD I will take it as complement. Not that I need it but I do have proof that I made it. The tacks as well, I got a little help on the rubber bottom, but not by DSD. Ask Aboubacar for yourself if you like or even better ask Matt if he even got a glimpse of this drum prior to me posting it... Furthermore, as a DSD dealer, I clearly state the DSD that I sell. Anyway thanks for the complement, as yes indeed the quality is up there. Peace!

Marcus
http://www.woodenroots.com
By Dugafola
whatever makes you sleep well at night!!

i'm looking at your website and there's a big discrepancy in the quality of the work of the drums you sell. how do you explain that?

i don't think your 'work' is bad...but how do you go from a fairly standard heading job to something akin to a work of art?
By Wooden Roots
Dugafola wrote:whatever makes you sleep well at night!!

i'm looking at your website and there's a big discrepancy in the quality of the work of the drums you sell. how do you explain that?

i don't think your 'work' is bad...but how do you go from a fairly standard heading job to something akin to a work of art?

I guess "practice makes perfect". Learning from my teachers, trial and error, applying techniques and principles from this forum....

Peace,

Marcus
http://www.woodenroots.com
By Dugafola
Like I said, whatever makes your conscience feel good.

We both know DSD did all the work on this drum.

It's sad to me that the true builder of this drum isn't getting the credit he deserves.

One day you'll be asked to replicate this type of work and you won't be able to do it. Then what'll you do?
By Rhythmtree
Marcus does really good work as evidenced in his facebook posts, but if there is credit not being given to someone for work that they did, it's never to late to give credit where credit is due.
Last edited by Rhythmtree on Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Dugafola
That's great you want to defend him. There's no way I'd make the statements I've made in this thread without knowing some facts and there are truths that you don't know.

Thanks for bumping the topic though.
By shortypalmer
I am a little confused as to why somebody would not take somebodys word for having built a drum. kind of odd to me. Marcus does good work, has the tools and knowledge and if he said he did it then i would think you are complementing him by saying dsd did the work, they do excellent work but so do others. for you to argue that he did not do it not quite right
By Kruse
I totally agree with Shorty on this. Why would any serious drum builder who has established a reputable company say that he has constructed something that he has not? The work that DSD does is excellent but by no means is it a big secret. Anyone with an ounce of ingenuity can recreate/ duplicate the quality of work of another.
By Dugafola
shortypalmer wrote:I am a little confused as to why somebody would not take somebodys word for having built a drum. kind of odd to me. Marcus does good work, has the tools and knowledge and if he said he did it then i would think you are complementing him by saying dsd did the work, they do excellent work but so do others. for you to argue that he did not do it not quite right
i'm confused too shorty.