Meeting place for buying and selling instruments
By chavesbeste
Sent Galen at WULA a non-Wula djembe for a rebuild. He gave it the royal treatment, even identified the wood (lenke) and where it was carved (Kangaba). I love the smooth goat skin heads they are using. A week later, another one of my djembes (coincidentally a lenke Kangaba from Overseas Connections) popped its head and I also sent it to Wula. They do a fantastic rebuild, worth the $190!
By chavesbeste
Shipping was $22 FedEx ground. No pics handy--the head looks just like the ultra white Wula one a few posts ago. Very smooth surface, like a baby's bottom. I agree the projection is impressive!
By Wula Drum
How do ya do everyone! Thanks for the posts, chavesbeste!

Duga, we do full rebuilds on Wula shells for $150 and all other full size djembe for $190 (plus shipping). This is all labor and materials, cleaning the drum, fixing cracks and any necessary woodworking, new rings and rope (Wula custom), thick goat hide, and the full treatment for appearance and tuning.

Other rope tuned drums (duns, ntama, bougarabou) are priced based upon size. We can give estimates by email. And anyone can send us pictures if you have questions! We love discussing instruments.

Many thanks,

Wula Drum
info@wuladrum.com
By Dugafola
Wula Drum wrote:How do ya do everyone! Thanks for the posts, chavesbeste!

Duga, we do full rebuilds on Wula shells for $150 and all other full size djembe for $190 (plus shipping). This is all labor and materials, cleaning the drum, fixing cracks and any necessary woodworking, new rings and rope (Wula custom), thick goat hide, and the full treatment for appearance and tuning.

Other rope tuned drums (duns, ntama, bougarabou) are priced based upon size. We can give estimates by email. And anyone can send us pictures if you have questions! We love discussing instruments.

Many thanks,

Wula Drum
info@wuladrum.com
thanks for the breakdown.
By Jason Megibow
I've owned dozens of Djembes from many places, I've owned Djembes from Mali, Guinea, Ivory Coast, USA, Indonesia, and unknown. I also repair drums for my local community which has given me the opportunity to get to know another 100 drums intimately.
There are only a few I will give an A+ rating:
Drumskulls, WULA, Wooden Roots, Rhythm House Drums, and I have gotten some wonderful raw shells from Shorty, at goatskins.com
I hope this helps someone, but there are still a lot of drum builders work who I have not seen. You may have a local drum builder near you who is making top notch drums.
By gr3vans
There is a drum builder in Salt Lake City that does extremely nice work, as good as any of the heavies if not better.

Kaz Spiers http://www.kazdrums.com/
His rope work on djembes perfect. aside from that he is well versed in ngoma from congo and makes drums from aspen local to his area. not many real drum BUILDERS in the states, he is one. to my knowledge he does not carve hardwoods though.

Cheers.
By shakashaka
Yesterday I had a Remo "djembe" on my hands and I remembered this subject...

I have to admit that I allways thought they couldn't be so bad instruments and I used to see very bad reviews as opinions influenced in some way by traditional djembe "fanboys".

OMG... how wrong I was... What a piece of expensive shit.... NOTHING to do with a djembe, maybe something similar to a very expensive derbake/doumbek with djembe shape :doh:

I'm still shocked ... a very expensive pimped doumbek.